Replication .... between core and scale .... does not work

Louis2

Contributor
I tried to setup a replication task to pull / sync data from my core NAS towards my SCALE nas

I tried all kind of things at the end I tried to set up an connection using the root account of the core system, but even that does not work.

What I did:
- all my accounts core and scale do have SSH-keys. I did generate them using the Bitvise SSH-client
- so on my scale system I wend to Data Protection => SSH-keys
- I opened that function defined a name 'CoreRoot' and added the private and public keys of the Core Root user into that SSH-keypair (save)
- Then I opened 'SSN-connections' and did create a new one 'FetchViaRoot' Host <host ip> username: root ; Discover Remote Host key
- I tried to ways for the user name 'root@<hostname>.gz.lan and 'root' both did not work
- Then I went to replication task Wizard; 'source on different system; trying to select the source => '[EFAULT] Network activity "Replication" is disabled

Some thing should work ...... :rolleyes:

dAlexis

Dabbler
I tried to setup a replication task to pull / sync data from my core NAS towards my SCALE nas

I tried all kind of things at the end I tried to set up an connection using the root account of the core system, but even that does not work.

What I did:
- all my accounts core and scale do have SSH-keys. I did generate them using the Bitvise SSH-client
- so on my scale system I wend to Data Protection => SSH-keys
- I opened that function defined a name 'CoreRoot' and added the private and public keys of the Core Root user into that SSH-keypair (save)
- Then I opened 'SSN-connections' and did create a new one 'FetchViaRoot' Host <host ip> username: root ; Discover Remote Host key
- I tried to ways for the user name 'root@<hostname>.gz.lan and 'root' both did not work
- Then I went to replication task Wizard; 'source on different system; trying to select the source => '[EFAULT] Network activity "Replication" is disabled

Some thing should work ...... :rolleyes:
You need to pull data to scale from scale UI. See here https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/the-best-way-to-copy-data-from-core-smb.106786/post-747729

Louis2

Contributor
Apart from the (confusing) GUI, I have been thinking about what need to happen.
- you have to start a ssh session from the system having the replication task, so you need a user with a private key on in this case the scale system
- that user wants to login on the remote system as user-x, which does probably NOT have the name of the user on this system
- that remote user (can be root or some other account), should accept a login from this computer, so the pub key form the 'scale system' should be added to pubkey of the involved remote user (which can be done via the gui by inserting an extra pub key in the authorization field of the remote user
- of course that remote user can also be a user specifically created for this purpose (the preferred situation)
- that user user needs to have access to the involved remote dataset
- than we have the local user which needs to have access to the dataset on this machine

How this thinking matches with the actual GUI and things like:
- remote host key (what for the hell is that?)
- that I do not see the name of the local user in the gui
- I still see ''[EFAULT] Network activity "Replication"

I still have to discover ........

EDIT: remote host key seems clear. That probably equal the "Permanently added ‘remote ip' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts"
Not that it fixes the problem :oops:

Last edited:

dAlexis

Dabbler
Hm, I remember, what was done, not clearly, but
Key pair was generated
I connected from scale 2 core
Created pull replication task (run once)
Started - approx 25 hr for 10+ TB

Last edited:

Louis2

Contributor
I am testing with a test folder at both sides. Both accessible for any one. I did test with user accounts and with the root account (core) and the admin account and root account on the scale side. No way to get it running, I really do not understand why (despite a lot of effort ! )

I know ways to transfer data form one side to the other ... However replication and rsync should work using SSH.

And I want to have those functions working.
And I also want to know why it is not working!

dAlexis

Dabbler
1679756742551.png

1679756707265.png

try 2 use these UI parts on Scale side - I was not even launching ssh, all gone by UI only. Snapshot is needed on source side, BTW

Louis2

Contributor
Terribly stupid :eek: .... but these functions where not permitted to use the network!

There is a setting under Network Global Configuration where you have to allow these Rsync and Replication to use the network.
The only excuse I have is that you should expect a warning or error message 'indicating the problem', which is not there :oops: