I do not manage to get SSH based RSYNC working :(

Louis2

Contributor
Hello, I try to get RSYNC (and also replication tasks) running between my TrueNas Scale and TrueNas Core system, both running the latest versions.
I did a lot of testing, many options ..... never the less .... no success.

Looking at ^RSYNC^:
- I initiate the action from the scale system
- the users private key in its home directory
- also trying from keys in the keychain
- when defining a Rsync Task, the remote path is sucssesfully checked, so there is working communication
- the test source and the destination path are open to very one
- The intention was pulling from scale, however I tried push an pull, both did not work

VERY VERY strange the GUI. ^Left column source^ and ^right column Remote^, what is strange because
- when a push is defined ^left^ is IMHO Source
- however when pull is defined ^left^ is IMHO Destination

When starting the Rsync Task, it starts and immediately stops.
- I checked with tcpmonitor .... during that time there is no communication on the vlan
- very frustrating, trying to get error information from the 'failed' button, does only provide an empty log

What ever I tried a lot, and spend a crazy amount of time trying to make this work, but I did not yet manage. Related to this e.g. my recent post,
- No ECDSA host key is known for 192.168.xx.yy and you have requested strict checking (running latest scale version).
- Replication .... between core and scale .... does not work

I am not sure of cause, but I would not be surprised if the Rsync problem I have and the Replication task issue are related. Or there is a bug or I am doing something terribly stupid :rolleyes:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Did you create SSH connections and keypairs?

Louis2

Contributor
Yep, I tried ..... every thing ......
- using my own keys
- using local generated key pairs
- defining key pairs on the nas using my own pub en private keys
- trying with user accounts
- trying with the root account
- generating SSH-connections
- creating Rsync modules
- adding ECDSA-keys via the gui
- and importing them via 'discover remote host key'
- looking with tcp monitor in the vlan's to the (missing) communication between the core and the nas systems

For info the truenas core and the truenas scale system are both situated on the same vlan.
The scale system has many vlans, since I am also using the system for virtual machines

No error information on the nas, just not working

I am really becoming nuts :rolleyes:

2twisty

Contributor
Does it work when you do it from the command line?

I had trouble with doing in the GUI, as well. Since it was a one-time thing for me, I just did it from the command line with password auth. That worked fine.

rsync -options /mnt/source root@remotesystem:/mnt/target

And it worked flawlessly. Since it was a one-time replication (since I will be using ZFS replication normally) I just gave up on getting it working in the GUI.

Louis2

Contributor
I manage to get it working via the GUI now, with a few remarks:
- up to now I only managed with SSH-connection from the keychain (I did not manage to use the key in the user folder yet)
- rsync must be allowed to access internet in the network screen
- the user must have access to the local dataset
- the user must have access to the remote dataset