RSync jobs not running?

mrstrarr

Cadet
Hey, new guy over here :)

I built a TrueNAS Scale "server" from an old i7 Desktop with 32GB RAM, 4 4TB WD RED disks in a RaidZ1 configuration and have to say i really like TrueNAS so far :)

Anyways, i have defined a number of Rsync jobs which run just fine if i trigger them manually (initial sync took quite some time, however that is not unexpected).

My problem:

The source (Synology NAS) is running 24/7, my TrueNAS Scale machine is woken up daily at 23:50 (to give some time for it to boot up) and then there are a few jobs running that use it as a backup target (aside from the Rsync tasks, those are VM/Container snapshots from my Proxmox cluster).

So far so good, at 02:00AM, i set up a Cron job in TrueNAS to shut it down again, which also works...

Now, i noticed that i am missing new data in at least one of the Rsync tasks which are in the source NAS but aren't being synced to TrueNAS even like 2 days later.

- i can't seem to find a history of the Rsync tasks, it seems the logs are gone after a shutdown/reboot?

All Rsync Tasks show "Success", however there's no indication when the last run, last successful run has been done?

I've set up GMail OAuth emailing (works), however it seems i had to set my Email Alert Services level to "INFO" to also receive the Task notifications (seems to be working now after triggering one Rsync task again).

Anyways, does anyone have any pointers how to get down to the issue of Rsync tasks apparently not running successfully?

Ideally, i'd like the TrueNAS to shut down itself after every task for the day is done, i.e. all Rsync tasks, any scheduled resilvering is done, all SMART tests are done so i don't have to resort to the cronjob workaround like i'm doing right now...

Can that be done somehow?

Thank you in advance!

mrstrarr

Cadet
- i can't seem to find a history of the Rsync tasks, it seems the logs are gone after a shutdown/reboot?

All Rsync Tasks show "Success", however there's no indication when the last run, last successful run has been done?

I've set up GMail OAuth emailing (works), however it seems i had to set my Email Alert Services level to "INFO" to also receive the Task notifications (seems to be working now after triggering one Rsync task again).
Today morning, even after the power on/power off schedule seems to have worked once more (i can see the power draw of the whole house), and after i successfully tested the "email me after rsync task" - today, there are exactly 0 emails about any Rsync tasks in my inbox :(

mrstrarr

Cadet
Actually, this seems to be much worse and not only "contained" to Rsync jobs:

I cannot see the "last run status" of any job?

Be that

- Scrub Tasks
- Periodic Snapshot Tasks
- Rsync Tasks
- SMART Tests

I have weekly SMART Tests, Periodic Snapshot Tasks and Scrub Tasks defined (some may have been there by default).

Anyways, my point is:

They show that the "next run" time is in 7 days - but i cannot find any information on the last run which must've been happening tonight?

Where's the log files etc. of that? Did they complete? Have there been errors? Have they successfully finished?

mrstrarr

Cadet
Manually starting the jobs sends the mails (nightly/automatically seemingly still doesn't), however they're worthless:

TrueNAS @ backupserver

New alerts:
  • Rsync "PULL" task for "/mnt/zraid/SynoBackup" succeeded.
Current alerts:

That's 5 different jobs, each one PULL'ing from a different folder from the source NAS - now, tell me which is which? :/

FWIW, this is how one of the job definitions look like ("Remote Path" differs):

Bildschirm­foto 2023-03-28 um 17.23.34.png