The best way to copy data from Core SMB

dAlexis

Dabbler
Situation - created new NAS - SCALE, currently investigating, learning 2 configure it and thinking, how 2 transfer data from Core (w\o urgency). Copy by win machine looks higly dimb. Mounted Core SMB 2 local directory (mount with cifs option), tried cp with nohup from GUI console from root, but cp "lost in service" from ps -ef after gui timeout lock with nothing in nohup.out. Something was copied, BTW, but not all. Of course, will investigate nohup better, but decided 2 ask about possible better way of mounting remote samba. Maybe, can be done from GUI? or other advice (nohup, etc) welcome. BTW, obvious advice about mounting old pook disks with new ones, maybe, possible technically, but having 14 disks attached will be not a bit tricky... Better 2 leave old NAS as-is IMHO.

I mean this sincerely, but can you rewrite your post? I'm having difficulty trying to read it and follow along.

It sounds like you're trying to copy data from a TrueNAS Core server to a TrueNAS SCALE server, using SMB on a local client to serve as the "middleman" to facilitate the transfer? But you find this very slow and inefficient?

What about using direct server-to-server replication to transfer everything over?

dAlexis

Dabbler
I mean this sincerely, but can you rewrite your post? I'm having difficulty trying to read it and follow along.

It sounds like you're trying to copy data from a TrueNAS Core server to a TrueNAS SCALE server, using SMB on a local client to serve as the "middleman" to facilitate the transfer? But you find this very slow and inefficient?

What about using direct server-to-server replication to transfer everything over?
Yes, you understood correctly. Speed is not too critical 4 home, and anyway it'll be faster than copy by client. About replication - idea is interesting, please advice where 2 look! Thanks in advance!

About replication - idea is interesting, please advice where 2 look! Thanks in advance!
You can either setup a Replication Task to run "once", to send data from the Core server to the SCALE server. You'll have to configure the SSH key, and set the Replication Task not to run automatically and not to use a schedule. (You will only run it once, manually.)

Or you can ssh into the Core server and use zfs send/recv (in a tmux session) to replicate a dataset with its snapshots to the SCALE server.

dAlexis

Dabbler
You can either setup a Replication Task to run "once", to send data from the Core server to the SCALE server. You'll have to configure the SSH key, and set the Replication Task not to run automatically and not to use a schedule. (You will only run it once, manually.)

Or you can ssh into the Core server and use zfs send/recv (in a tmux session) to replicate a dataset with its snapshots to the SCALE server.
Once more, thanks! After Bluefin upgrade managed 2 pull 10+ TB from Core (pushing data from Core was not working, IMHO, due 2 admin account in Bluefin)
All was done from Bluefin GUI