Question on replicating data from Truenas Core to Scale

AL3Backups

Cadet
What I'm attempting to do:

I have a Truenas Core system which I will be updating to Scale. I am backing up the data to another system that has Truenas Scale already.

Process:

I created snapshots of datasets on the Truenas Core system. I created new empty datasets on the Truenas Scale system. These datasets have the 'Share Type' set to 'SMB' and 'Case Sensitivity' to 'Insensitive'. Doing this so I don't run into issues later with permissions and shares.

I created a replication task on the Truenas Scale system that is pulling the data from the Core system into the new datasets. For the most part everything is default, other than this section:

r/truenas - Question on replicating data from Truenas Core to Scale
I ensured I turned off including Dataset Properties and that it was Recursive for child datasets.

Problem:

When I attempt the replication, it overwrites the 'Share Type' and 'Case Sensitivity' settings even with the above settings disabled. Unfortunately these settings can't be changed after they are set from what I understand but it seems that they can be overwritten if the source data being replicated is forcing the change.

Question:

Is there a better way to approach this? Do I have the wrong settings in the replication task or is there some other method I should be using to move the data? This is about 25 TB of data so it takes a significant amount of time and I would prefer to use the fastest method possible that maintains all the settings I've enabled on the destination rather than copy any settings from the source. I just want the raw data copied over and I will reset permissions in the destination.

Any help/insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

AL3Backups

Cadet
Bumping this up as I am still looking for an answer for this. Hoping someone out there can offer some insight as I've exhausted my research options. I've probably read a novel worth of guides, forums and watched videos but unfortunately nothing offers a clear and concise explanation of the best process for this or provides feedback on the issue being encountered with dataset properties.

Thanks.

jonbjr8

Cadet
Hi there. Did you ever get an answer to this? I am encountering the same issue and it is quite frustrating. Hoping there is way to retain these settings.

AL3Backups

Cadet
Unfortunately, I did not. I originally posted on Reddit, then to here but no responses. Seems that there is not much out there surrounding this particular issue. I would still like to get an answer, but in the interim, I just replicated everything and left the settings. Impact has been minimal so far, but I have a feeling I will encounter some permissions issues in the future related to this.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm confused. Will you not be using SMB? Because if you will, you practically need those settings the way they are. Not to detract from what sounds like a middleware POLA violation, though.

AL3Backups

Cadet
I'm confused. Will you not be using SMB? Because if you will, you practically need those settings the way they are. Not to detract from what sounds like a middleware POLA violation, though.

I am using SMB. Is there something I can clarify further from my original post? If so, I would be more than happy to.

I tried to replicate data from a source TrueNAS Core server to a TrueNAS Scale server. In that replication, instead of allowing me to set the dataset properties on the destination, it copied the source dataset properties (even though I unchecked the option to include dataset properties). Those particular properties cannot be changed after they are set.

Also, not understanding the middleware POLA violation comment?

I’m not fully understanding the problem here. Why are you wanting to change the share type on the backup system? Does it not simply mirror the primary?

You can change the datasets after they have been replicated once you remove the read only flag but if you continue to replicate then your changes will be wiped out.

AL3Backups

Cadet
I’m not fully understanding the problem here. Why are you wanting to change the share type on the backup system? Does it not simply mirror the primary?

You can change the datasets after they have been replicated once you remove the read only flag but if you continue to replicate then your changes will be wiped out.
When I originally setup the primary system, I *did not* set the share type to 'SMB' and *did not* set the 'Case Sensitivity' to insensitive for any of my datasets. Before upgrading this primary system, I am backing up the data to another Truenas Scale system. As part of that process, I would like to correct the mistake and change those dataset properties so going forward they are set to SMB and Insensitive.

On the target system for the replication, I setup a pull replication task. As part of that task, I unchecked the box that states 'Include dataset properties' as I would like to set those properties to SMB and Insensitive after they have replicated.

When the data is replicated, it ignores that 'Include dataset properties' option which I unchecked, and automatically syncs and overwrites the dataset properties, thus not retaining my settings on the target dataset which I set to SMB and Insensitive when they were created.

From my research, it is best to set my datasets to SMB and Insensitive based on my use case. Since both options are immutable after being set, I was hoping that through the process of replication to a new server/dataset I would have the ability to change them. The intention is for this to be a one time replication and I'll likely just make this my primary system as it is newer hardware.

Ok I understand. Personally I would create a new dataset on the primary with the correct settings and then cp or rsync the data from old to new.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, if the GUI isn't cooperating, you may need to manually fix this before replicating.