Best way to copy 16TB data to Freenas Pool

Muzza

Dabbler
Although I am a long time FreeNas user, I have never needed to copy data directly by USB into the server. I have always done it via SMB using my network. I would like to copy directly into a pool via a USB attached drive ( which is not in a pool). I don't think this is possible so therefore I'm asking. I need to transfer 2 X 16TB NFTS formatted disks via wifi otherwise. I sold my home and my main servers are in storage.. I copied most of the data onto these 2 drives and I'm in the process of building a new small server 3000miles away. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Arwen

MVP
Linux does have support for NTFS, though write is probably less tested. However, for your use case, mount them R/O for your copy. So perhaps TrueNAS SCALE might be a better option for the copy part. Not saying you need to use SCALE over Core, but perform the copy into the pool using SCALE.

Note that TrueNAS SCALE has, (at present), a later version of ZFS and pool features. Thus, if your intent is to use TrueNAS Core, create the pool under Core. Then make a temporary SCALE boot, import the pool and make the copies.

It's possible that FreeBSD using in Core has suitable NTFS support. I just don't know off hand. Perhaps someone else can answer that question.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Storage->Import Disk will mount NTFS drives read-only and will copy their contents into a dataset in your pool.

Muzza

Dabbler
Storage->Import Disk will mount NTFS drives read-only and will copy their contents into a dataset in your pool.
Thank you kind sir... You are a lifesaver!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
For 16 TB, you'll want to use USB3, instead of USB2, just to make the import jobs have reasonable durations.

Muzza

Dabbler
Linux does have support for NTFS, though write is probably less tested. However, for your use case, mount them R/O for your copy. So perhaps TrueNAS SCALE might be a better option for the copy part. Not saying you need to use SCALE over Core, but perform the copy into the pool using SCALE.

Note that TrueNAS SCALE has, (at present), a later version of ZFS and pool features. Thus, if your intent is to use TrueNAS Core, create the pool under Core. Then make a temporary SCALE boot, import the pool and make the copies.

It's possible that FreeBSD using in Core has suitable NTFS support. I just don't know off hand. Perhaps someone else can answer that question.
Thank you for your suggestion... Although I have only used Core in my other servers.. I may give this a try since it's is a new server I'm building. Seems like the ultimate direction for TrueNAS will be SCALE eventually.. I may as well play around with it.