Removing disks from Mirror and using them to extend pool.

garrei

Dabbler
So yeah I'm a newbie to freenas and zfs and all that, next to no CLI experience so if this ould be solved without the use of that, would be amazing aha.

My setup at the moment:

HDD0 - SSD boot drive
HDD1 - 8TB Ironwolf | MIRROR1
HDD2 - 8TB Ironwolf | MIRROR1
HDD3 - 16TB Ironwolf Pro | MIRROR2
HDD4 - 16TB Ironwolf Pro | MIRROR2

My aim is to break these mirrors and keep my pools intact. As I no longer wish to have reduncancy for these drives. Not only this I need data moved from the 8tb drives over to the 16tb drives as I wish to use the 2 x 8TB drives for a different project. So essentially:

1. Remove the Mirror for MIRROR2
2. Wipe HDD4
3. Use HDD4 to extend the existing pool consisting of HDD3
4. Transfer files from MIRROR1 to free'd up space on the 16TB drives
5. Remove the Mirror for MIRROR1
6. Wipe data from both 8TB drives
7. Create new extended pool with both 8TB's

Hopefully my process I need done can be understood from that aha.

I'm asking for help in exactly how I'd go about this, can it be done? Will I HAVE to lose data? (I dont have any other drives to backup data) It's not critical data but it's a lot of hard to find movies and TV shows for a popular plex server I run. Would rather not have to re-download terabytes of data to get back to how it was...

Any help is appreiated, thanks!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Under Storage | Pools | cogwheel next to your pool (MIRROR2 or whatever) | Status ... then three dots next to one of the member disks, then detach.

Then you can use that drive for what you want (probably wipe it under Storage | disks) and the pool will continue as normal, but no longer a mirror.

I am assuming TrueNAS 12.0-U3 CORE (although it should be similar under fairly new versions before that).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Pools... plural? As in, you have an 8TB mirror pool and a 16TB mirror pool?

The answers to how you attack your problem are dependent on whether these disks are in separate pools, or just different vdev's in a single pool.

garrei

Dabbler
Pools... plural? As in, you have an 8TB mirror pool and a 16TB mirror pool?

The answers to how you attack your problem are dependent on whether these disks are in separate pools, or just different vdev's in a single pool.
Correct, they are set up as separate pools. I've so far just detached one of the 16TBs as mentioned in the first response and wiped it, then re-added by extending. Works perfectly as expected, 14tb free on that pool now.

Now im trying to find the best method to transfer the jails stored on my 8TBs to my ssd and move the media files from my 8TBs to the 16TBs.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Then I think you're headed in the right direction.

rsync would be a classic way to move files, but there are easily more than a dozen ways to do it. If you are concerned for your files, rsync has an excellent --dry-run flag that will tell you what it would have done, without actually doing it (you probably also have to ask for verbose mode).