SOLVED Importing disks to an imported pool with data

Ezki

Cadet
I'm new to TrueNAS Scale and did a reset configuration to default. As such, after everything was done, I imported a Pool. If I go to Storage-> Disks-> Disks, I can see the following:

1675530688360.png

I have a total of 4 drives: 2 are 8TB, one mirroring the other, and the same for the 16TB. All this prior to resetting it.

Now, when I try to go to import disks, I see the following:

1675530629906.png

I can see the path of my previous folders on those drives, but I am afraid that if I import disk by selecting a Filesystem type, I am going to lose all my data. Which Filesystem type should I use to preserve the data?

Again, the 8TB/16TB drives were mirrored.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I am afraid that if I import disk by selecting a Filesystem type, I am going to lose all my data.
That isn't going to happen. The "filesystem type" is asking for the filesystem on the disk from which you're trying to import data. This is a read-only operation as far as that disk is concerned.

Arwen

MVP
If you are using ZFS on those disks, I think you want Storage, Import Pool, which is in a different section of the GUI.

Ezki

Cadet
I was able to get the pool and content of that pool and I am happy with those drives (16TB).

The issue I am now having is the following:
When I go to Storage->Disks

1675877728809.png

I get the following disks:
1675877751593.png

Here you can see that the Pool name for the 16TB are shown but I can't see the pool name for the 6TB drives (ZR12...). I can't remember what those names were previously to be honest and as such I can't use "zpool import <Pool Name>".

When I do "zpool list -v", I get the following:
1675877880233.png

Are the ones with "ff97e004......" and "796ab43d.....", the ones I am looking for the 6TB each? If so, how come their sizes do not show up on that list and how do I recover the content of those drives if I don't have a pool name to use to retrieve it?

Thanks again.

Arwen

MVP
You have 2 ways to go from here, either;
  • Just PUSH the GUI Import pool button. It should then list which pools are available for import.
  • Or from the command line, use zpool import without listing a pool, to get the other pool's name.
The disks not listing a pool name is almost certainly NOT a problem. It is just that this instance of TrueNAS has not seen the pool before, so likely does not know those disks are part of a ZFS pool.

Ezki

Cadet
You have 2 ways to go from here, either;
  • Just PUSH the GUI Import pool button. It should then list which pools are available for import.
  • Or from the command line, use zpool import without listing a pool, to get the other pool's name.
The disks not listing a pool name is almost certainly NOT a problem. It is just that this instance of TrueNAS has not seen the pool before, so likely does not know those disks are part of a ZFS pool.
Thanks, I will give this a try and report back if I was successful.

Greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Ezki

Cadet
Everything worked out perfectly!
Thanks to the both of you for your feedback.

This thread can now be set to solved!

Arwen

MVP
Your welcome. Glad everything worked out.

You can set the Solved yourself. At the top of this forum thread, their are 3 dots and small down arrow. They lead to a pull down menu. Use the Edit function and you can change the title prefix from none to Solved. Then save.