Replacing my SATA HDDs with SDDs - same size - TrueNAS Scale

thstruenas

Cadet
Hello community !

I am currently running TrueNAS Scale (TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.1) and trying to figure out the best way to replace my storage HDDs with new SDDs that I have recently acquired. Both the HDDs and SDDs are of the same size - 4Tb - each. My current setup for my data vdev/Pools are 4x 4Tb WD Red NAS drives currently operating on RAIDZ2 , currently providing ~ 7Tb of total storage. I plan on replacing these with 4 x 4Tb SSDs. I also use other storage devices (nvme's) as boot as well as for my Log and Cache vdev's , however these will remain unchanged. The server (HW) will also remain unchanged, this upgrade will ONLY affect the storage HDDs.

I am currently thinking of going to each of the HDDs and shutting them off / out of my data VDEV then replacing them with the SSD's and allow TrueNAS to "resilver" them as the drives are getting replaced, but I decided to post a question since technically speaking HDD/mechanical storage works differently from SSD/Flash storage and I may be missing something on the process here. I currently don't have a separate server that I can turn on with the new SSDs and do a vdev migration, so I am asking to check what would be the best way to proceed here. Thanks in advanced for your time and attention to the matter here.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It will "work" as you describe... but...

SSDs and HDDs probably don't have the same exact size, despite what's written on the packaging... and even worse... SSDs are probably quite a bit (more than 2GB) smaller, so you won't actually get it to work with a "like for like" size replacement.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello @thstruenas - as mentioned above, complications may arise if the SSDs are significantly smaller in raw size than your existing HDDs.

If you can connect a single SSD to the system and run lsblk -bd this will give you a listing of the top-level devices and their byte sizes. Compare the SSD to the HDD - if it's more than 2GB smaller, replacing "in-place" won't be possible, even with workarounds such as disabling the swap file temporarily.

If you have sufficient connectivity, you can create a second SSD based pool and copy the data over using a ZFS send.

thstruenas

Cadet
It will "work" as you describe... but...

SSDs and HDDs probably don't have the same exact size, despite what's written on the packaging... and even worse... SSDs are probably quite a bit (more than 2GB) smaller, so you won't actually get it to work with a "like for like" size replacement.
Thank you for responding to my query. I will try to assess the new SSDs true size before replacing the HDDs !

thstruenas

Cadet
Hello @thstruenas - as mentioned above, complications may arise if the SSDs are significantly smaller in raw size than your existing HDDs.

If you can connect a single SSD to the system and run lsblk -bd this will give you a listing of the top-level devices and their byte sizes. Compare the SSD to the HDD - if it's more than 2GB smaller, replacing "in-place" won't be possible, even with workarounds such as disabling the swap file temporarily.

If you have sufficient connectivity, you can create a second SSD based pool and copy the data over using a ZFS send.
Thanks for the info. I will plug one of the SSDs using a external enclosure just to double check the size before replacing the HDDs.