Removing Plex plugin also removes Jail w/ Media? Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasarus

Cadet
So I just started playing with this recently, so not too big of a deal - but going forward I'd like to learn from this mistake.

I installed Plex and had everything running smoothly. After upgrading FreeNAS Plex stopped working, so I figured I'd just remove it and re-install it (thinking this would only remove the plugin).

Wrong - Jail w/ media removed as well...

So... as a matter of debrief - what went wrong here and how can I setup protection that will prevent an inadvertent (or needed) uninstall of the Plex plugin from killing the Media as well?

Many thanks for everything - this is really great!

danb35

Hall of Famer

Nasarus

Cadet
Many thanks - during my second iteration (still a learning iteration) I've created a folder in the volume (outside of the jail) which I can access via a share or sftp. I then wanted to setup a simple symlink into the jail from without but that doesn't appear to be possible - instead I used the GUI to add "Storage" (which appears to be similar to a symlink but I'm not sure how it's achieved under the hood) that is mounted within the jail to /mnt/Multimedia/ . I fear my permissions are a bit loose and will play more with the owner/group/ACL and search more for best practices regarding the same.

On a stand-alone Linux box I'm fairly comfortable with ACL but the extra element of the network confuses me a bit especially since I'll be using both Windows and Linux machines to access the stores.

Anywho, that's my little story :) Thank you for the link - I'll read it now and will undoubtedly find it quite useful.

Crispin

Explorer
If you're redoing it the don't bother with the plugins. The break or go outdated to quickly.

To install plex manually -
  1. Create new jail called Plex
  2. In shell type jls and note the number of your jail.
  3. Type jexec 1 (assuming 1 is your jail)
  4. Type pkg upgrade -y
  5. Type pkg update -y
  6. Type pkg install plexmediaserver
  7. You're done.
Follow the hints at the end of the plex install to finish.

I've been using FreeNAS for a few years now and never had longterm joy with the plugins.

HTH
C

Status
Not open for further replies.