Plex Plugin - Media not showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

apb0703

Dabbler
Hello all,

I am new to Freenas and I am trying to set up Plex. I have installed the Plugin using Freenas WebGUI and have version 0.9.11.1.678.

On Freenas I have a ZFS volume called Main.

On the Volume I have a Dataset called Videos

On the Data Set Videos I have a dataset called HD Movies

On the Plex Jail I have the plexmediaserver_1 and under that I have a storage set up as /media

On the options under /media i have the following options et

Jail: plexmediaserveir_1

Source: /mnt/Main/Videos/HDMovies

Destination: /media

Read-Only: Unchecked

Create Directory: Checked

Mounted?: Checked

I then went to the Plex Web GUI by clicking on Plexmediaservice in the Freenas WebGUI Plugins and clicked the "Click here to access your Plex Media Server!"

I clicked the "+" next to the plexmediaserver_1

I click Movies

I click Folder and click add folder

I click media and HDMovies so the path is set to /media/HDMovies

I click save changes

After I do all that, my media does not show on Plex. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
you're close but misunderstanding the mount slightly. it literally mounts the HDMovies to /media and doesn't create a subfolder for you. I don't know why you would think that.

also the files might be properly present in /media, but plex's user can't read the files because of permission levels.

finally that mount point can be read-only if you like.

apb0703

Dabbler
So I need to change the Destination to /media/HDMovies?

Where would I change the permissions to allow Plex to read the files?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
you don't need to change it. it that's where you want it to be then yes, otherwise the files should be available under /media.

you can change permissions for your Main/Movies/HDMovies dataset in the storage area. though you'll want to make sure future files you add are also readable so your not always changing the permissions. you may not even touch this, if your files are world readable this shouldn't be an issue.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
also one suggestion I have is to have all of your like "media" on the same dataset. no reason to have HDMovies/SDMovies, TVShows, ect.. on different datasets if you don't plan on having different compression or snapshot settings for them.

instead just have a dataset for your media and you can organize things in subfolders under there. the advantage of this is you won't need to mount in all of this individual dataset. Mount in your media dataset to /media and everything will be below it.

but this is totally user choice. just giving my $0.02

Zack05

Cadet
I have a problem that is close. I think it is permissions but it is unclear to me as I am fairly new to FreeNAS and Linux in general.

I have a FreeNAS 11 I just made. I have two drives made into two volumes and two data sets.

VolHD\Media is a 3 TB drive - I changed the permissions to include Other - write
VolSSD\Jail is a 30 GB SSD

I installed Plex Plugin 1.5.5.3634
The Jail is set to the Jail dataset on VolSSD or /mnt/VolSSD/Jail

The storage for the plex jail is the Media dataset on VolHD or /mnt/VolHD/Media

I made a WIndows SMB share to /mnt/VolHD/Media that works perfect. From my desktop I connected to the SMB share and made a Movies folder. I then copied a movie into the new folder without a problem.

The plexplugin starts fine and I can connect to the Plex interface.

The problem is when I go to add a new library I do not see my Media dataset.

When I go to the plex jail and open a shell I ran the command ls-l /mnt and I get a total of 0.

I cant seem to find where I went wrong. Anyone have an idea what I missed?

Thanks

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I have a problem that is close. I think it is permissions but it is unclear to me as I am fairly new to FreeNAS and Linux in general.

I have a FreeNAS 11 I just made. I have two drives made into two volumes and two data sets.

VolHD\Media is a 3 TB drive - I changed the permissions to include Other - write
VolSSD\Jail is a 30 GB SSD

I installed Plex Plugin 1.5.5.3634
The Jail is set to the Jail dataset on VolSSD or /mnt/VolSSD/Jail

The storage for the plex jail is the Media dataset on VolHD or /mnt/VolHD/Media

I made a WIndows SMB share to /mnt/VolHD/Media that works perfect. From my desktop I connected to the SMB share and made a Movies folder. I then copied a movie into the new folder without a problem.

The plexplugin starts fine and I can connect to the Plex interface.

The problem is when I go to add a new library I do not see my Media dataset.

When I go to the plex jail and open a shell I ran the command ls-l /mnt and I get a total of 0.

I cant seem to find where I went wrong. Anyone have an idea what I missed?

Thanks
That is not a permission problem. If 'ls -l' does not show the files they just do not exist there.
Did you mount your Media dataset into the plex jail on the Jails > Storage tab of the FreeNAS webui?

Zack05

Cadet
Yes I did. When I select the Jails tab and go to the Storage button I see the following.

upload_2017-6-28_11-27-41.png

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
you mounted it to /media. Why are you looking in /mnt?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
When I add the storage I browsed and that is what FreeNAS did

View attachment 19196
I'm not sure what you are asking. I think it is pretty clear where you mounted your "Media" dataset, is not where you were looking in the jail with 'ls -l'.

Zack05

Cadet
I see what you mean. Forgive me I have little experience here. I thought the command would show me all my mounted drives that plex can see. I just now ran "ls -l" and see the following.
upload_2017-6-28_12-5-44.png

My main question is why my plex is not showing the movie files I placed in /mnt/VolHD/Media/Movies. Now that I have this new ls result how can one tell what directory is in the jail and which is from my dataset outside the jail?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I see what you mean. Forgive me I have little experience here. I thought the command would show me all my mounted drives that plex can see. I just now ran "ls -l" and see the following.
View attachment 19200

My main question is why my plex is not showing the movie files I placed in /mnt/VolHD/Media/Movies. Now that I have this new ls result how can one tell what directory is in the jail and which is from my dataset outside the jail?
You can tell based on what you entered on the Jails > Storage tab. You mounted the Media dataset to /media, so your files are in there.

Try browsing to the there in plex. If plex still does not see the files I believe there is a bug in plex with jails on FreeBSD 11 based systems. See here https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1455281

Zack05

Cadet
hehe thanks for the link! That made me keep looking. Turns out my issue was even simpler. I forgot Unix and Linux directories are case sensitive. Add that to the fact I could not browse to the directory from the Plex interface. Once I changed the path in Plex from /media/movies to /media/Movies all is working. Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.