Remote virtual machine control

Muffin.Monkey

Dabbler
Consider this use case:

I have a Raspberry Pi with an attached monitor within my network. This Raspberry Pi shall display the desktop of a Windows VM running on my TrueNAS to use some Windows only application. The Raspberry Pi will only run a few hours per week, so I do not want the VM to run 24/7, but only when the application is used. Is there a possibility to start and stop the VM from the Raspberry Pi?

Thanks for your answers in advance!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Pi desktop with a browser and RDP/VNC client on it... that's all that's needed.

Muffin.Monkey

Dabbler
That is my plan, but is there a possibility to start the VM before starting the RDP / VNC connection and stopping the VM after closing the connection by the Raspberry Pi?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
That's what the browser is for. Connect to the GUI, start /stop the VM.

Muffin.Monkey

Dabbler
To sum this thread up:
There is no other possibility to start / stop the VMs, but the GUI. I have to let them run 24/7 if I do not want to login to the GUI before usage.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
It is possible to start & stop a VM without the GUI, but you'll have to use API calls to do it. See
https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/backup-bhyve-windows-vm.85705/post-601264 for an example script @bal0an wrote to control a VM for backup.

This is for an on-box session, though. Remotely from a Pi, you'd have to generate an API key for root REST access, and use the REST API to start and stop the VM:

https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/api/ and note the Add button.

sretalla