GPU Pass Through and Attached Monitor

titlescanner

Cadet
I’m new to the TrueNAS community, following about a year of learning self-hosting/home lab setup on a Raspberry Pi (e.g., using docker containers).

I’ve installed TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0 on an HP EliteDesk 800 G5 and have managed to get a Windows VM up and running. I have also managed to pass through a NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL [Quadro P400] graphics card, which is “isolated” according to the TrueNAS GUI. It is also detected by Windows Device Manager on the VM.

My question (possibly a naive one) is whether I should be able to attached a monitor/display to the graphics card and then see the desktop GUI? I can access the desktop via Remote Desktop, but nothing seems to be coming out of my attached monitor—neither the Windows desktop or the TrueNAS CLI. The TrueNAS console did originally appear on my monitor following installation.

My goal is to have a VM that can be running Windows alongside a bunch of docker containers installed directly on TrueNAS, which would only be accessed via a web browser. Therefore, curious to know whether I’m missing something, or doing something wrong. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I’m looking forward to getting to know TrueNAS better!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
whether I should be able to attached a monitor/display to the graphics card and then see the desktop GUI?
No, it doesn't work like that for a GPU attached to a VM.

You'll need to continue as you have already been doing with RDP.

titlescanner

Cadet
Thanks for the clarification. Back to planning a different strategy then I guess!

I had a follow up to this thread.
When using promox i setup a vm with a gtx 970 to play around with steam streaming/ gaming. just having fun experimenting. After i set everything up and it was working fine i passed through a keyboard and connecting the gpu that i passed through to vm directly to a monitor. I was then able to see my vm directly on a monitor and use a direct attached keyboard.
I am thinking about upgrading my trueNas core machine to scale and was curious if i will be able to do the same experiment or are you saying this is not possible in Truenas Scale?

thank you in advance for any information :)

sretalla