Need to know what to google VPN + NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingr_

Dabbler
Hello Forum,

I'm very inexperienced on the networking side of things so I'm hoping someone can at least point me in the direction of what to google.

Use case:

I have a Raspberry pi 3 and I want connections to the www to be through a VPN, but I want it to connect locally to the NAS for storage, also be able to remote desktop from a local computer.

What do I need to learn to make this happen? I really just need a starting point for what I need to learn/explore.

I have a TP-Link Gigabit smart switch that I believe can do anything.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Last edited:
Your google search should be "setup openvpn client on raspberry pi 3 tutorial". Start there. Once you get that running the others should be fairly straightforward.

I think the easiest way to accomplish this is to use the WiFi for WWW and the lan port for NAS connection. You can easily prevent WWW on the LAN port by not specifying DNS servers for that connection, setup this way sounds to me like the easiest way. Then your NAS and remote desktop run thru the LAN port and all WWW goes thru the wifi.

Good luck!

pschatz100

Guru
Do you want to install Openvpn on the rasberry pi or on your router? Once you decide, then read up on configuring the Openvpn client you choose to direct traffic either through the VPN or WWW as desired.

If you don't know whether to set up OpenVPN on the Pi or your router, I'm certain you can find a lot of discussion about the merits of each approach. I don't think there is an absolute right or wrong way to do this.

Kingr_

Dabbler
Thanks, everyone. I had looked into setting up OpenVPN on my router but it is too old/crappy to run it properly.

I also have a pi laying around and wanted to try using it.

Your input has helped to point me in the right direction

Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.