Reduce Volume Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm new to freenas. I have small NAS box run with FreeNAS 9.2 version. now i setup volume using single HDD Disk and i create CIFS share using it and currently CIFS share is mounted to one of my Windows PC.

Volume Size : 250GB
Used Space : 50 GB

now i need to reduce this volume to 100GB without loosing data. please let me inform how to do it. thank you very much for reading this. :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You don't reduce volumes. That's not an option with ZFS.

If you want it smaller, get smaller disks. FreeNAS is designed to use the entire disk and nothing less.

Frankly, I'm not even sure *why* you'd want to reduce a volume.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is your volume a single 250 GB disk? And you want to replace it with a single 100 GB disk? If so, the only way I'm aware of to do that would be to set up a new volume on the 100 GB disk and transfer the data from the 250 GB disk. There's not a way to shrink a volume under ZFS.

I just need to assign completely separate volume for jails. so i have only 1 disk and now i assign them all to one volume. I just need to create another small volume from existing volume. :/

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'd say create a dataset (which acts as a separate volume), but jails are set up as a dataset by default anyway. There's no way within FreeNAS to create two separate pools on the same disk. What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish, and why?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'd say create a dataset (which acts as a separate volume), but jails are set up as a dataset by default anyway. There's no way within FreeNAS to create two separate pools on the same disk.
Bingo! This is exactly what I'd have said as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.