Recycle bin not showing files

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangopango

Contributor
I can see the recycle bin folder, but not the actual files.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? I ticked in the boxes "Recycle bin" and "Hidden files". I have multiple datasets if that would imply anything

D

dlavigne

Impossible to tell with the information you've provided. What is your FreeNAS build version? What is the contents of smb4.conf? Which Windows version are you using? Does it get an error or does it just display an empty recycle bin?

rangopango

Contributor
FreeNAS-11.1-U4, Windows 10 (1709), I don't know where the smb4.conf is located

It's just an empty recycle bin with folders, 0 bytes, no files whatsoever

Inxsible

Guru
FreeNAS-11.1-U4, Windows 10 (1709), I don't know where the smb4.conf is located

It's just an empty recycle bin with folders, 0 bytes, no files whatsoever
Usually you cannot go into any folders in the Recycle bin. It shows 0 bytes, because the space occupied by the folders/files is now marked for re-use by the OS. When you delete something, only the pointers to those files get deleted, not the file itself -- but the space is still marked as "empty"

Restore the folder back to where it was and then see if you can see/access the files within those folders.

rangopango

Contributor
So the recycle bin is basically a snapshot. Is there a way to actually implement a proper recycle bin? Say, I want to restore one file, the only way to do it is to restore entire folders/directories? That's just wrong in so many ways.

Inxsible

Guru
Is there a way to actually implement a proper recycle bin?
On what system are you planning on implementing this? Windows or FreeNAS?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Silly question, but have you actually deleted any files/folders? For reference, once the Recycle Bin is enabled and you connect to the share (via Windows) and delete a file or folder; then you would see items in the Recycle Bin.

Until any files are deleted, it usually doesn't appear or is empty.

Also, IIRC deleting files via "root" does not place items in the Recycle Bin.

Inxsible

Guru
This is the FreeNAS forum. It's a bit self explanatory, don't you think?
No. You'd be amazed at the number of idiots that ask questions about other systems.

rangopango

Contributor
Silly question, but have you actually deleted any files/folders? For reference, once the Recycle Bin is enabled and you connect to the share (via Windows) and delete a file or folder; then you would see items in the Recycle Bin.

Until any files are deleted, it usually doesn't appear or is empty.

Also, IIRC deleting files via "root" does not place items in the Recycle Bin.

My setup looks like this

/mnt/Volume/
mnt/Volume/dataset1
mnt/Volume/dataset2
mnt/Volume/dataset3
mnt/Volume/dataset4

I've enabled sharing from /mnt/Volume so that it grabs all of the datasets recursively. Whenever I delete files, let it be one or multiple files at once, nothing appears in the recycle bin. It's just an empty folder with subfolders. This must be a bug, because I don't think it's supposed to be empty =/

Seems like you have an arrangement of datasets within datasets. The recycle bin will not work if the deleted files and the recycle directory are in different datasets. More info in this 2013 post https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ers-files-do-not-appear-in-recycle-bin.14659/. Your options appear to be:
  1. Merge datasets into one large dataset; or
  2. Add shares for the child datasets and turn on the export recyle bin feature on those shares.
It's the same reason why the recycle bin feature doesn't work with home directories.

Last edited:

rangopango

Contributor
Well that doesn't look pretty hehe, I've mapped my several datasets into several network drives and it looks so out of place.. Is there no better way?

Last edited:
Well that doesn't look pretty hehe, I've mapped my several datasets into several network drives and it looks so out of place.. Is there no better way?
...but it's legal, and it works! ;)

I did think that you might try disabling 'browseable to network clients' for those shares and getting to the recycle directories of the child datasets from the share associated with the parent dataset, but, you would still be deleting across dataset boundaries, so, I don't think it's going to work. Try it though. You never know.

Last edited:
Good to know. In my humble opinion, I think we're now at the outer limits of what's possible within the OS.

Any reason why option 1 is not a possibility i.e. use a directory structure instead of child datasets?

For example, you might have a media dataset that is mapped to a share, which has the export recycle bin feature is enabled. Within the dataset, there are directories that separate photos, music, video, etc.

Last edited:

rangopango

Contributor
I think it's easier to handle multiple datasets with different snapshop options because I've got different type of data that I frequently delete/don't touch so it'd be a hassle to restore the entire dataset if I regretted something in a particular directory later on

PhilipS

Contributor
You haven't provided much about what environment you are running in, but you could map your shares in DFS on a Win Server and then map a network drive to the DFS share. That is how I have mine setup, but I use snapshots/previous versions not recycle bin.

rangopango

Contributor
So your Windows server is accessing multiple datasetse over SMB, and you're sharing all of it with DFS from the Windows server to your devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.