Recommended to use Proxmox with TrueNAS in RAIDZ1?

Keyakinan

Dabbler
Hi,
I want to use proxmox on a Hp microserver gen 8.
My Idea is to use 3 HDDs all 14tb each. Can I give TrueNAS 3x 10tb and a RAIDz1 config. Pfsense some space and leave a little space over for another VM if I ever wanted to?
So I don't use the full space of each drive but share it.
The reason I want to do it like this so I can put PFsense on a seperate device down the road. And still create separate VMs.
And if that isn't a good plan, can I have 3 full disks for only TrueNAS in raidZ1?
thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
TrueNAS does not do RAID 5. Please read the ZFS primer to educate yourself on how ZFS works:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Giving TrueNAS virtual disks is pretty much always a bad idea. You'll want to pass through a controller (and all connected disks) to the VM, and Proxmox' support for that isn't very mature. But SCALE uses KVM for virtualization, just like Proxmox does--seems the thing to do would be to pick one or the other.

Keyakinan

Dabbler
Giving TrueNAS virtual disks is pretty much always a bad idea. You'll want to pass through a controller (and all connected disks) to the VM, and Proxmox' support for that isn't very mature. But SCALE uses KVM for virtualization, just like Proxmox does--seems the thing to do would be to pick one or the other.
Yes I have full pass through now with a backup of all my data (for now). I think tomorrow I'm putting them in raidz1 For now I want to use PfSense and TrueNAS next to eachother and truenas with plex/*arr/ ha. But once when I upgrade my server I'm prob putting just truenas with virtualization. This is a good way to learn I must say, but complicated.