Installing Truenas Scale in Proxmox as a VM on an nvme passedthrough drive, and question...

titust1

Explorer
I plan to install Truenas Scale as a VM in Proxmox, on a dedicated 256GiB nvme drive. Then I'll present 4 HDDs to the VM to make a pool.
I'm doing this inspired by this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPd6lpM01FY&t=1104s
Here come the question:
The Truenas boot device requires a small size, so there is a lot a remaining disk space on the nvme.
I want to partition the nvme drive a partition for the Truenas VM, and two other partitions for two Truenas Log V-devs for two pools
I'm looking for advise and wondering in the same time if anyone has done this.
Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

larod241

Dabbler
Hello,
Why dedicate a physical disk for the truenas boot pool?
You just have to create a classic virtual disk on the proxmox volume/datastore where all the other VMs and LXC are stored.
It also allows you to make snapshots and other clones of the boot-pool for testing or other.
The passtrough should only be done for the disks that will host the data, in my opinion.

Last edited:

titust1

Explorer
I guess you misunderstood me. I shouldn't have said dedicated. The idea is to use a fast nvme for the Truenas virtual disk and a Truenas Log d-dev, but not necessarily only for the Truenas VM, other VMs can be installed there.
My question was this: can I use a partition of the nvme for the Truenas Pool Log. or I have to use a full disk?

larod241

Dabbler
You can create an additional virtual disk stored on this NVME SSD (in addition to the one for the boot pool) when creating the TrueNAS VM. And once the installation is complete you can assign it as you wish in truenas gui.

titust1

Explorer
Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try. This is what I actually want to achieve. I'll have a fast boot-disk, fast log, and avoid the storage waste that Truenas is forcing us to do when installed normally (full disks per everything) . My NAS is for home and I use it to mirror my local PC files, it doesn't need redundancy