Recommended disk controller for expanding storage machine

idgar

Dabbler
Hi,
For my TrueNAS machine I have a motherboard with 6x SATA ports (6Gbit) based on H97 intel chipset + SATA controller PCIe 1x with 2x SATA ports (6Gbit).
The added card is a cheap one I bought many years ago based on ASMedia ASM1062 - not sure how good and reliable it should be but I used it here and there and so far didn't have issues.

I need more ports (total of 12 ports, prefer to replace the controller card with 6 port card) and want to make sure to get a reliable controller which is not too expensive.

Most of the SATA controllers in Amazon are based on ASMedia chips (ASM1166 for example). for 6 port I think PCIe 4x is the right one to provide enough bandwidth.

how good and reliable those cards? do you have a recommendation on those cards?
Is it worth buying SAS controllers instead? (I saw here mostly LSI is recommended)
will SAS controller work out-of-the-box with sata drives and cables?

Please advise.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
how good and reliable those cards? do you have a recommendation on those cards?
Not reliable, don't get them: https://www.truenas.com/community/r...t-multipliers-and-cheap-sata-controllers.177/

Is it worth buying SAS controllers instead? (I saw here mostly LSI is recommended)
Absolutely, yes.

will SAS controller work out-of-the-box with sata drives and cables?
Assuming it's already flashed into IT mode... Drives, yes, cables, you need "breakout to SATA" cables for your adapter (sometimes sold together with the adapter on E-BAY - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1336862808...IJ7FAcN4VkHad42oOOGnyzQEZZS2|tkp:BFBMuqGZg9Nh https://www.ebay.com/itm/1334104987...KxfXvdYzuul%2BLLcSuJ|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675).

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
1. What is the difference between 9207 and 9300?
The second digit indicates PCI generation... PCIe v2 and v3 respectively... The v2 card will work in a v3 motherboard, not sure about the reverse.

2. Is both supporting SATA III?
Yes

3. are you recommend buying open-box? I see brand new has similar price (for example https://www.ebay.com/itm/144680563178)
That's the way to get genuine LSI at a lower price... retail has them for $200+, so I'm not sure how I would trust "new" at $50

You probably can't go far wrong for the money though either way. (just get the other option if the first one doesn't work out)

Also, I should have said in the post above: I in no way endorse any of the linked items or vendors. I'm just giving an indication of the kind of thing that may be available.

omeganot

Dabbler
The second digit indicates PCI generation... PCIe v2 and v3 respectively... The v2 card will work in a v3 motherboard, not sure about the reverse.
Both the 9207 and the 9300 leverage PCIe 3.0, and use the 2308 and 3008 controllers respectively. There are 92xx cards that use PCIe 2.0 though, like the 9201.

idgar

Dabbler
Both the 9207 and the 9300 leverage PCIe 3.0, and use the 2308 and 3008 controllers respectively. There are 92xx cards that use PCIe 2.0 though, like the 9201.
Except for PCIe version, number of lanes and ports, is there other notable parameter between all 92xx and 93xx models?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Except for PCIe version, number of lanes and ports, is there other notable parameter between all 92xx and 93xx models?
SAS generation - the 9207 is SAS2 (6Gbps) whereas the 9300 is SAS3 (12Gbps)

omeganot

Dabbler
And their configurations. Are they 4i, 8i, 4i4e, or some other configuration? That matters if you're hooking up internally only, or connecting to another box with drives elsewhere. The SAS generation will also change the SAS port type(e.g., SFF-8087 vs. SFF8643). Additionally, consider:

idgar

Dabbler
And their configurations. Are they 4i, 8i, 4i4e, or some other configuration? That matters if you're hooking up internally only, or connecting to another box with drives elsewhere. The SAS generation will also change the SAS port type(e.g., SFF-8087 vs. SFF8643). Additionally, consider:
Great reading material, clear things out quickly!

Just trying to make sure (after breakout):
4i is 4 ports
8i is 8 ports
4i4e is 8 ports out of 4 with extender?

Sounds like the 9207 8i (2308 chipset) SFF-8087 should be sufficient for SATA drives especially for HDD (no need of 12Gbit speeds). 50$ approxomately. Great alternative for unknown brand SATA controller.
Prefer lower power consumption and less heat.

Now when I'm looking at ebay for example I can see there are other vendors than LSI (e.g. INSPUR).
I feel like it's better to stick with LSI but maybe I'm missing something.

Another interesting thing (out of curiosity) is does the fact that ATA protocol is tunneled affect throughput?
I'm not worried about it but would be nice to know.

omeganot

Dabbler
Great reading material, clear things out quickly!

Just trying to make sure (after breakout):
4i is 4 ports
8i is 8 ports
4i4e is 8 ports out of 4 with extender?
The "i" is for internal, the "e" for external. So, 8i, 8 internal ports (each SFF-8087 connection can break out to 4 drives, so two connections on the card). 4i4e supports 4 internal and 4 external (external has a different connection) drives. When you look at the cards, it should be easy to see.
Another interesting thing (out of curiosity) is does the fact that ATA protocol is tunneled affect throughput?
I'm not worried about it but would be nice to know.
I have no idea, but I'm highly doubtful it would in a meaningful way.

sretalla