Support for ASMedia ASM1061 storage controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wywywywy

Dabbler
Basically I would like to get a socket AM1 (AMD Kabini) setup for FreeNas because of the price, power consumption and performance.

However, they are all only two SATA ports, probably due to limitation with the on-chip controller. Except this ASRock one - it has 4 SATA ports, because two of them are provided by an ASMedia ASM1061 chipset.

I did some Googling, and back in 2011/2012 the ASMedia ASM1061 wasn't supported well under FreeBSD/FreeNas. But I haven't found anything in 2014 and I'm hoping things have moved on a little.

So, is anyone using, or has anyone tried, a ASMedia ASM1061 with FreeNas?

The same chipset is used on a number of cheap PCI/PCIe controller cards as well.

Thanks.

krikboh

Patron
Do a search for AM1 and FreeNAS and you should see that the platform is not fully compatible with FreeNAS. Even if you get up and running you won't get the power consumption you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You'd be better off with an Avoton board.

wywywywy

Dabbler
Thanks for the tips.

Just read that thread about the Kabini. Looks like the power management is messed up and the CPU isn't idling properly. That's a shame :( Maybe better on Nas4free because it uses a newer version of FreeBSD? Don't know.

I wanted an Avoton but unfortunately it isn't sold in the UK, plus the price is a bit high. :(

cyberjock

Inactive Account
NAS4Free is technically behind FreeNAS now. It was ahead for about 18-24 month, but we're virtually on par now.

The *real* problem is AMD doesn't have the developer resources they used to (they laid off 1/2 their open source developers a summer or two ago) and this is what happens when you cut stuff you shouldn't. So if you want a good system that is going to work, you are going to have to look at Intel.

wywywywy

Dabbler
Thanks for the info.

There isn't much choice on the Intel front at the moment in the UK. Only higher power socketed ones and Jetway ones are available. I think I'll stick with a Microserver for now. at least lots of people are using it so it's easier to find information should something goes wrong.

Just need to get some ECC modules now.

djb61

Cadet
I'm not sure why you think Avoton isn't available in the UK. I recently bought a Supermicro A1SAi-2750F Avoton board in the UK without any hassle. I'll agree it wasn't that cheap however, the retailer I bought it from charged about £320 inc VAT for it.

wywywywy

Dabbler
Sorry I meant from common manufacturers like Asus Gigabyte Asrock, rather than enterprise manufacturers like Supermicro.
Anyway the price is too high for just a home server...

Status
Not open for further replies.