Recommendations for 480GB NVMe SLOG / L2ARC config

Status
Not open for further replies.

averyfreeman

Contributor
480GB Samsung SM953 NVMe SSD with PLP:

Just picked up this beaut today, it's an enterprise NVMe SSD with power loss protection. Check out the pics, you can see the honkin' capacitors on the front and back.

I was thinking of partitioning it and using somewhere between 8-24GB for the SLOG and the rest (460GB-ish) for an L2ARC. I'll be using it via PCIe passthrough with an 8TB mirror as an NFS datastore for VM storage (ESXi).

Any recommendations on how to configure it with my mirror?
SM953_front.JPG
SM953_back.JPG

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Freenas version, hardware specs and workflows? I doubt a slog or l2arc will just you at all and the l2arc will probably make it worse.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
@Stux did a good writeup on this very special case.
You should do a search.
I would link to it but I am on my phone and driving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
480GB Samsung SM953 NVMe SSD with PLP:

Just picked up this beaut today, it's an enterprise NVMe SSD with power loss protection. Check out the pics, you can see the honkin' capacitors on the front and back.

I was thinking of partitioning it and using somewhere between 8-24GB for the SLOG and the rest (460GB-ish) for an L2ARC. I'll be using it via PCIe passthrough with an 8TB mirror as an NFS datastore for VM storage (ESXi).
Did you ever do this?
What were the steps you took to implement it?
What were your results?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I would link to it but I am on my phone and driving.
Don't text and drive, you can't zfs rollback real life.

@OP, I'm curious to see the results as well if you implemented this. Another user was having issues with this same drive (in AIC form factor, though) not giving the expected throughput, you can see the benchmarks at the end of the SLOG thread linked in my signature:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...inding-the-best-slog.63521/page-4#post-482724

Stux

MVP
Status
Not open for further replies.