SOLVED Reboot/Shutdown sometimes don't work (Nightly 2014-10-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdvBeratung

Dabbler
The two "buttons" reboot and shutdown don't work in roughly 1/3 of the times I use them.
First appears the warning message with red background and after confirming the message "system is rebooting" appears on the top left of the browser window and than about a second later the normal GUI comes back up and nothing else happened. A second try afterwards always worked so far.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
How long did you wait before trying to reboot again? Once I did a reboot and it took almost 45 seconds before it began the shutdown. Not sure exactly what went on, but I knew it started because my SSH session popped up with the shutdown message.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm currently checking out 9.3 in VMWare Workstation 10 and more often than not when I perform the initial install from an iso, after the installation is complete and I want it to reboot or shutdown, it fails to do anything. I can reinstall it.

Also during the first bootup the system will hang and this has been consistent but powering off the machine and on again allows things to progress, again this is in a VM not on actual hardware. Maybe I'll try actual hardware next week.

These problems probably have nothing to do with the OP issue, just wanted to throw it up there.

EDIT: ARG! Rebooting in the VM seems to hang during the reboot where the last message is "Timecounter "HPET" frequency 14318180 Hz quality 950". Maybe VMWare Workstation is not compatible with a FreeNAS ZFS boot drive. Maybe I'll be moving sooner to the real machine than I originally thought.

Last edited:

EdvBeratung

Dabbler
cyberjock,
The first few times when this happened I was waiting around five minutes or so but nothing happened. So I learned that there is an issue with the reboot or shutdown feature.
Now since I know about this issue when I see the Web GUI showing up again after displaying "System is rebooting" for only a second or so I just hit the button again immediately and 2nd time it always worked so far and it starts rebooting / shutting down right away.
Initiating "reboot" command from CLI always works.

joeschmuck,
Since yesterday I am evaluating FreeNAS 9.3 M4 (Nightly 2014-10-24) using physical hardware (Dell server). But before that I was evaluating FreeNAS 9.3 M4 (Nightly 2014-10-21) on VMware Workstation 10 on a Windows 8.1 host (Dell E5530 laptop) and I didn't see any issues at all (at least no other than the ones I noticed on physical harware as well but no HPET issues or other hangs like you experience).
FYI, I was using the following virtual hardware config in VMware workstation 10:
Latest harware version
5x SCSI HDDs (for the ZFS)
1x IDE HDD (for the OS)
4 Cores
6 GB RAM
Compatibility and stability was very good. The only reason I moved to physical hardware was because I wanted to start to do performance tests.

Last edited:

gpsguy

Shutdown works for me, running 9.3 M4 (Nightly 2014-10-24) in a VM on ESXi.

But, a reboot hangs with the same exact message you received.

Rebooting in the VM seems to hang during the reboot where the last message is "Timecounter "HPET" frequency 14318180 Hz quality 950".

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well put away that 14Mhz CPU gpsguy! Geez!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I just did a shutdown and reboot on my FreeNAS Mini and had no problems.

pjc

Contributor
In 9.2.1.7 I've notice a shutdown/reboot stall having to do with NUT. It doesn't seem to exit gracefully when poked, so the system waits a bit (20 seconds?) and then hits it with a kill -9 hammer. Everything else is fast. Might that be what you're encountering?

EdvBeratung

Dabbler
pjc,
Thank you for your reply, but no, like I wrote earlier I was waiting around five minutes and nothing happened. The test system is pretty fast so IF shutdown or reboot works it acts immediately. And it does work in around 2/3 of the cases. And it always works using command line but in around 1/3 of the cases it simply switches the Weg GUI back to the "normal" screen and behaves if nothing ever happened and I have to click "reboot" or "shutdown" again.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So, I still have this issue when rebooting 9.3, now I'm using 9.3 Beta. I have also updated my VMWare Workstation to version 10.0.4 (the current version).

Host System:
Gigabyte X58-USB3
Intel i7 950 CPU
24GB RAM
Windows 7 Pro (64-bit)

The VM build...
1 CPU
8GB RAM
4xSCSI (also tried SATA and IDE) 20GB drives for ZFS
1xIDE (also tried SATA and SCSI) 8GB for OS
Network in NAT

So my problem only seems to occur during a Reboot, never happens during a Shutdown and then Power On. It looks like during the reboot that something doesn't get all cleared out/re-initialized. So the work around is to shutdown,

I have two concerns...
1) Does this occur on a hardware system?
2) Is this a problem in the new bootloader?

Screenshots are of the error/lockup and the configuration of the VM.

93VMWareBootHang.JPG

93VMWareBootHang-Hardware.JPG

Attachments

• 93VMWareBootHang.JPG
    93VMWareBootHang.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 431

gpsguy

I still have the exact same problem using the beta. Shutdown always works, on reboot, it hangs at the same place on the startup.

While our hosts hardware is different, we are both using VMware as our hypervisor.

Host System:
HP N54L
2.2GHZ AMD Turion II Neo
16GB RAM
ESXi 5.1.0

The VM build
1 CPU
8GB RAM
1xSCSI 8GB for OS
Network in NAT

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What ESXi version and build number are you guys using?

I mean..

<gets out the megaphone>

DO NOT VIRTUALIZE FREENAS!!!! :D

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have just installed 9.3 Beta on a bare metal machine and the rebooting works fine. I'm not sure what the issue is with VMWare.

But seriously, VMWare Workstation is designed for a person to test out software without committing the hardware resources to it. Up until now there hasn't been any issue doing this.

We both posted our Host systems.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh, you're using VMWare Workstation? What version/build? Those screenshots made me think you guys were doing ESXi.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm using VMWare Workstation to version 10.0.4 (the current/latest version). Version 11 comes out next month I believe but I'm not spending money on it again. I can skip a version. This software is not cheap.

GpsGuy is using ESXi 5.1.0.

mjws00

Guru
Just another quick data point. Esxi 5.5 update 1. On the hardware in sig. 5 reboots from console, 5 from browser. All fast and successful.

Not sure how intermittent the problem is, but without automating tough to go nuts hammering it. Don't have Workstation 10, but I'll hit 8 for fun and see if it bombs. I skip versions too ;)

Sir.Robin

Guru
I also have this issue running FreeNAS 9.3 BETA on Workstation 9.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I submitted a bug report and noting this thread for additional information. I don't think there will be a fix generated to make it work in a VM.

kjp4756

Contributor
I'm seeing this issue as well on vmware fusion 7.1. I have 2 cores assigned to the vm, 4GB RAM, a 8GB virtual disk (SCSI) for boot and a 20GB virtual disk for a test pool.

Just now I installed the latest 9.3 ISO from the freenas website. I created my pool. After that I went to check for updates and there were some. I installed those updates and upon reboot the console stopped at "Timecounter "HPET" frequency 14318180 Hz quality 950". I power off the VM and turn it back on and everything is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.