Random rebooting

JohnFLi

Contributor
Possibly your IPMI version is too old for this BIOS upgrade, and that's what the message is "Can't find FID string" is actually indicating. I suggest that you contact SM Support and thell them what you have, ask for a path forward.

That said, it ,ay be that your initianl problem is solved by disabling the Watch Dog at the MB jumper and you decide to live with the present firmwares if SM doesn't give you what you need to fully update your hardware.

Have you considered talking to 45 Drives about the upgrade process?
I will try the jumper thing.....as for 45 Drive, it's so old, they don't really want to talk to me about something that old.....but if i'm buying something new, they are all about that.,

JohnFLi

Contributor
Watchdog jumper has been removed AND verified it is disabled in bios.

JohnFLi

Contributor
Well, it rebooted again lastnight........so I guess that watch dog wasn't the fix. argh

Redcoat

MVP
Well, it rebooted again lastnight........so I guess that watch dog wasn't the fix. argh
Argh indeed!!!

Do you have watchdogs disabled in TrueNAS also? See last line below.

1698156023763.png

I do not know what this does if the watchdog jumper and BIOS also have watch dog disabled... if anything, but I have had it there since my FreeNAS Mini days.

JohnFLi

Contributor
Argh indeed!!!

Do you have watchdogs disabled in TrueNAS also? See last line below.

View attachment 71602

I do not know what this does if the watchdog jumper and BIOS also have watch dog disabled... if anything, but I have had it there since my FreeNAS Mini days.
it is now:

1698156644697.png

JohnFLi

Contributor
Well, I was hoping.....it still rebooted yesterday afternoon....and did it twice

had an unscheduled system reboot. The operating system successfully came back online at Thu Oct 26 15:56:07 2023.​

2023-10-26 15:56:07 (America/Los_Angeles)

had an unscheduled system reboot. The operating system successfully came back online at Thu Oct 26 19:02:24 2023.​

2023-10-26 19:02:24 (America/Los_Angeles)

Even though this system doesn't play a 'major production solution', it still serves as a rather important one for operations.....yet the powers that be don't think it's worth the 8k to replace it.....oh well, I guess it can limp along for as long as possible.

probain

Patron
Have you checked thermals? Would be kind of easy, and easy to miss, to check if you get shutdown due to parts getting to hot?

JohnFLi

Contributor
Have you checked thermals? Would be kind of easy, and easy to miss, to check if you get shutdown due to parts getting to hot?
not going to lie....I thought that would be a non-issue, now, not so sure

1698413120501.png

No idea why it's running so warm.,,,it is in a datacenter that stays in the 60's 24/7
CPU isn't busy

1698413265554.png

probain

Patron
not going to lie....I thought that would be a non-issue, now, not so sure

No idea why it's running so warm.,,,it is in a datacenter that stays in the 60's 24/7
CPU isn't busy
Naaa. That doesn't look hot at all. Barely even warm. But at least you can rule that out.

probain

Patron
Honestly. Buy a used MB and RAM from ebay, and try swapping parts. Maybe even new PSU's. There are several boards for sale, cheap too. If it turns out that the problem persists through hardware change. Then at least you'll have spares for if/when something breaks due to those mysterious reboots.

JohnFLi

Contributor
I am not good at scripting stuff in linux, but how would i be able to have a script that runs after it reboots itself to copy to files?

probain

Patron
I am not good at scripting stuff in linux, but how would i be able to have a script that runs after it reboots itself to copy to files?
I would do it with rsync.
You could then utilize it via using @Reboot in directly in cron.
Code:
@reboot /path/to/rsync options source target 

Or invoke a script @Reboot
Code:
@reboot /path/to/script.sh

JohnFLi

Contributor
I would do it with rsync.
You could then utilize it via using @Reboot in directly in cron.
Code:
@reboot /path/to/rsync options source target 

Or invoke a script @Reboot
Code:
i like the script.sh option
ANy particular format i need to have it in? it is just 2 line that copy items from 1 directory to another, and start a service.

1698426330165.png

There's already a way to do this in the GUI.

Tasks -> Init/Shutdown Scripts -> Add a "Pre-Init" or "Post-Init" script.

JohnFLi

Contributor
There's already a way to do this in the GUI.

Tasks -> Init/Shutdown Scripts -> Add a "Pre-Init" or "Post-Init" script.
Great, I will give this a shot and see what happens next time

Thanks all