Random rebooting

JohnFLi

Contributor
My box has started randomly rebooting for some reason. and my jails are not auto-restarting when it comes back up (yes, they are told to auto restart)

all i see is:

MachineName had an unscheduled system reboot. The operating system successfully came back online at Thu Oct 19 17:57:56 2023.​

2023-10-19 17:57:56 (America/Los_Angeles)Dismiss

notifications_active

WARNING​

MachineName had an unscheduled system reboot. The operating system successfully came back online at Thu Oct 19 22:14:26 2023.​

2023-10-19 22:14:26 (America/Los_Angeles)

1697808390548.png

ANy ideas on where to look to find out why it's rebooting?

Redcoat

MVP
What;s IPMI Event Log tell you?

JohnFLi

Contributor
Bad stick(s) of RAM?

From your other threads/posts, seems like this system had been very problematic.

JohnFLi

Contributor
Bad stick(s) of RAM?

From your other threads/posts, seems like this system had been very problematic.
Yes, I am wanting to replace the entire system (physically) but until then..... argh!!
is there anyway I can check to see if it is ram?

Redcoat

MVP
WHere do I find that log?
In IPMI - to get there read the appropriate manual for your model on the SM site - I don't know which one it is as the board model number in your signature is abbreviated. Hopefully your Event Log configuration is capturing shutdowns - I would expect it to be.
Please advise the full model number here.

Redcoat

MVP

JohnFLi

Contributor
Use Memtest86..
Is your RAM ECC?
I looked at Memtest86 real quick..... I will need to find a time to take the system down.
As for teh board model...not sure how to get which version of it. the system was bought in Sept of 2016.
The invoice only says X10DRL (DDR 4) Processor: E52620 v4 Dual
1697815464356.png

Redcoat

MVP
Do you know the IPMI port address? Can you access IPMI?

JohnFLi

Contributor
Do you know the IPMI port address? Can you access IPMI?
Did not know it existed...
gave it an address, and currently logged into it.
1697820091717.png

i do see in it's events, some items, but the time isn't close at all
1697820268424.png

The auto reboot happened @ 2214 lastnight

Redcoat

MVP
Is the system time set correctly in IPMI? What does Date and Time show?

Also look at the System>FRU page and se if you cen get the board model number so that the BIOS version can be checked "for sure". Looks like there may be an updated version 3.2.

Redcoat

MVP
The auto reboot happened @ 2214 lastnight
It looks like you had two reboots about 44 minutes apart last night.

Disabling the watchdogs in TrueNAS on the board (open jumper - location to be confirmed from manual) usually fixes this issue.

Last edited:

JohnFLi

Contributor
It looks like you had two reboots about 44 minutes apart last night.

Disbling the watchdogs in TrueNAS on the board (open jumper - location to be confirmed from manual) usually fixes this issue.
I rebooted the machine to get into the bios the motherboard is an X10DRL-I
I did adjust the time to our current time, and included the NTP. It did reboot twice lastnight and it doesn't look like that was about the right time between reboots. 1 @ 5:57 PM pst and the second @ 1014 PM pst... but at least I know I have the time corrected.

The FRU page wasn't helpfull----going to see If I can get some bios / firmware updates
1697822844252.png

Disbling the watchdogs in TrueNAS on the board
I got teh board manual, searched for 'watchdog' and didn't find anything

Page 2-35

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 1.52.42 PM.png

Redcoat

MVP
OK - moving right along here:

@elvisimprsntr has given us the info on the watchdog jumper in his post above. Open the pins to disable it.

You're several revisions behind on your BIOS and BMC firmware - the latest is found at https://www.supermicro.com/en/support/resources/downloadcenter/firmware/MBD-X10DRL-i/BIOS

Looking at the release notes also found there suggests (to me at least) that you would be well advised to apply the updates.

EDIT: I also see another page of updates at https://www.supermicro.com/en/support/resources/downloadcenter/firmware/MBD-X10DRL-i/BMC which seems to be for BMC BIOS alone but the release notes there are confusing me at present. I'll try to demystify them shortly in conjunction with the other set.

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP

@elvisimprsntr has given us the info on the watchdog jumper in his post above. Open the pins to disable it.

You're several revisions behind on your BIOS and BMC firmware - the latest is found at https://www.supermicro.com/en/support/resources/downloadcenter/firmware/MBD-X10DRL-i/BIOS

Looking at the release notes also found there suggests (to me at least) that you would be well advised to apply the updates.

EDIT: I also see another page of updates at https://www.supermicro.com/en/support/resources/downloadcenter/firmware/MBD-X10DRL-i/BMC which seems to be for BMC BIOS alone but the release notes there are confusing me at present. I'll try to demystify them shortly in conjunction with the other set.
Ok, I see it now: The second listing is a BMC (IPMI) firmware update only - I don't have any reason to think it's imperative to apply that at the moment.

JohnFLi

Contributor

Got stuck in a meeting...
I downloaded the bios file, but the board wants me to 'activate' it
1697828854419.png
1697828871890.png

So that is next. Thanks for the watch dog page. I searched for watchdog (1 word).....
I will try that after I figure out how to do my update.

Redcoat

MVP

JohnFLi

Contributor
This is likely your key number:

c118 - 76e8 - d73e - c7e3 - a3c6 - 51f8
That worked great, thank you for that.
of course there is now a new issue.......
no matter what file I give it, it's unhappy

1697833554822.png

I select the X10DRL1.521 file, and it returns

1697833606723.png

The other files just tell me it's not right

Redcoat

MVP
Possibly your IPMI version is too old for this BIOS upgrade, and that's what the message is "Can't find FID string" is actually indicating. I suggest that you contact SM Support and thell them what you have, ask for a path forward.

That said, it ,ay be that your initianl problem is solved by disabling the Watch Dog at the MB jumper and you decide to live with the present firmwares if SM doesn't give you what you need to fully update your hardware.

Have you considered talking to 45 Drives about the upgrade process?