RAID Controller Device and Best Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazelton

Cadet
New to FreeNAS but not NAS in general nor new to RAID or servers. Wondering what the best practice is as far as RAID is concerned.

Should I just let FreeNAS handle the simple mirrors or RAID 1's I'm doing or should I get a controller card. Let me know your personal experiences.

If I go RAID which card would be suggested. The HCL I saw seemed outdated. Suggest a card if anyone has had good success. Looking for moderate price range maybe Adaptec or something. 8 port etc.

Thanks in advance guys.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi chazelton,

FreeNAS is pretty much set up to use ZFS as it's filesystem. If you are going to use that save yourself some bucks, don't get a RAID card, and use either the motherboard SATA controllers or get more ports with a SAS HBA....something like a nice LSI that you can flash with a target firmware that "dumbs" it down into a fast SAS\SATA controller. Take whatever you were going to spend on a controller and apply liberally to the rest of the components...be sure to get plenty of RAM.

I personally run an 8 drive raidz2 of Samsung 1TB drives on an LSI\IBM BR10i card and couldn't be happier. 8 ports on the card, 8 drive bays in the case. Ask me for details.

-Will

chazelton

Cadet
O.K. perfect that is what I was thinking. Appreciate the feedback. When you say plenty of RAM is say 8GB enough or are you talking more. This is a large library.

Status
Not open for further replies.