Questions about creating the pool

eddie84

Dabbler
Hi everyone. I have questions about creating the pool on truenas core beta
- is there a possibility to create a raid pool from a single disk pool?
- if the first option is not possible, can I create a raid mirror with two HDs of brands other than 4TB or must they be the same units? (I have a 4TB WD Red Pro and a Seagate 4TB Barracuda)

Yorick

Wizard
- is there a possibility to create a raid pool from a single disk pool?

You can create a mirror. Just choose the vdev (your single disk), "extend" at the three-dot menu for that vdev, and add a second disk.

You cannot create a raidzN from a single disk.

- if the first option is not possible, can I create a raid mirror with two HDs of brands other than 4TB or must they be the same units? (I have a 4TB WD Red Pro and a Seagate 4TB Barracuda)

You can create a mirror with two disks of differing brands, yes. I'd check whether the Barracuda is SMR, though, and know the implications if it is.

ZFS folx typically do not refer to mirrors as "raid", the only time the word "raid" shows up is in conjunction with "raidz". Getting used to ZFS terminology will help you to communicate clearly to folx who are steeped in that terminology.

eddie84

Dabbler
You can create a mirror. Just choose the vdev (your single disk), "extend" at the three-dot menu for that vdev, and add a second disk.

You cannot create a raidzN from a single disk.

You can create a mirror with two disks of differing brands, yes. I'd check whether the Barracuda is SMR, though, and know the implications if it is.

ZFS folx typically do not refer to mirrors as "raid", the only time the word "raid" shows up is in conjunction with "raidz". Getting used to ZFS terminology will help you to communicate clearly to folx who are steeped in that terminology.
Thanks for the reply.
I'm new I apologize where can I study these terms ???

I read that the Mirror offers greater reliability but the performances are not the best compared to a single disk.
for performance and security how many disks would I need?

PS. The Segate would then be replaced with a new WD PRO as soon as I have the chance

Last edited:

Yorick

Wizard