Question about ClamAV usage

schamock

Cadet
Hello,
I'm at the beginning of my TrueNAS (Scale) journey and while exploring the available Apps (default catalog) I came across ClamAV and wanted to try it out.
But other than FileBrowser or Jellyfin there seams to be no web interface to interact with ClamAV. Also I didn't find any config options in the "main" TrueNAS GUI.

There must be some place, where I can configure, what ClamAV actually should do, right (scan times, default handling of findings, scan reports, ...)?
Unfortunately I didn't find any documentation about this particular App in the TrueNAS doc and also my google skills aren't good enough to find any explanation :(

Can someone please give me any guidance?
Thank you!

(TrueNAS SCALE 23.10.1 // ClamAV App Version 1.0.1, Chart Version 1.0.17)

ragametal

Contributor

schamock

Cadet
Thank you @ragametal for the link and explanation! That is really helpful and I'll try to get it working.
(strange though that it needs so much configuration to get a working virus scan...)

ragametal

Contributor
Well, ClamAV is not the most intuitive tool to use. It is a command line tool which is inherently more intimidating than a GUI. So, for this instance, i will not blame it solely on TrueNAS. Although, they should at the very least explain how their implementation of ClamAV works on their own system but they haven't and i don't think they ever will.

The lack of documentation is very frustrating for new users.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
they should at the very least explain how their implementation of ClamAV works on their own system but they haven't and i don't think they ever will
I think this statement reveals a simple misunderstanding of who owns the product and who should be responsible for it.

The "TrueNAS" app called ClamAV is a community app, meaning not supplied nor maintained by iX.

Clearly visible by its location in the github repo:

And the fact that it's available in the "community" train.

The person who put that app together probably made it available to help the community, not to have criticism leveled at them for not doing enough documentation.

Community maintained projects are open for contribution, so if you feel that there is something missing, go ahead and contribute that missing thing.

It seems that the TrueCharts folks have put together a set of instructions for their version of the app, so maybe you'll be happier using that (and their matching docs).

ragametal

Contributor
@sretalla , I stand corrected. I'll be the first one to admit that i thought that the official app implementation came directly from IXSystems.
Your clarification explains so many things.

sretalla