Noob question about Jellyfin Docker image

sp3tsnaz

Cadet
Hi everyone,

Hopefully this is a really simple user error question. I am testing TrueNAS Scale on a machine, and trying to install Jellyfin on it. I've managed to add the custom repositories using the stickied thread, so was able to see Jellyfin as one of the apps.

I've installed it on the machine in my data pool, and it says it's deployed successfully, however I don't know how to open the WebUI for it.

If I run the logs for it, there is a JellyFin Port allocated to it on a TCP://172.xxxxxx address with :8096 port, but when I put that into my URL bar it times out. Is that the correct port to be using, and there is some issue with my permission settings, or is there some other IP that I should be looking for in the Logs (or is there an easier place to find the IP address of the App like there was in Jails in the other version of TrueNAS.

Thanks.

mosaati

Cadet
It should be the same IP of TrueNAS and the port you assigned on host side while deploying the container. If it is the same as the container port then it is http://[TrueNAS IP]:8096

ornias

Wizard
@sp3tsnaz custom repositories? I think you mean catalogs and TrueCharts in particular?

About the current state: We completely rewrote everything for 21.04, so I doubt your issue will continue to exist come 21.04.
Although you are trying to connect to an internal Ip address which you shouldn't do. Please use either NodePort or Ingress.

Containers in SCALE are NOT jails and (generally) do NOT have their own IP on the host network.

With 21.04 we fixed the "portal" button to always point to the right location of the WebUI, so I do not expext these issues in the future :)

If you need any more help, suggest you file a support request at our Github instead of here.
While I'm relatively active here, I can't endlessly filter TrueCharts support requests from other containers and catalogs.

It should be the same IP of TrueNAS and the port you assigned on host side while deploying the container. If it is the same as the container port then it is http://[TrueNAS IP]:8096
Indeed, but that is assuming he set-up NodePort.

To be fair: I highly(!) suggest using reverse-Proxy (aka. Ingress) instead of NodePort.
Come 21.04 it should be even easier to setup and provide both a more solid and more secure entry point into the containers.

sp3tsnaz

Cadet
Cool, thanks for your help both! I might wait until the next update and play around with it more then. And yeah, I meant the catalogues using the guide in this post: https://www.truenas.com/community/t...repositories-to-scale-21-02-and-beyond.90840/

What I used was the repository that was listed specifically in the first screenshot, although I gather that's not the right way about it? I literally copied that word for word.

In terms of the NodePort, I think I left all the selections on the GUI as default other than changing the timezone.

I also didn't see a "Portal" button on the WebUI after the installation. Unless that's to come in the update?

sp3tsnaz

Cadet
I played around with it a bit more, the default is ClusterIP rather than NodePort, so changing it to the NodePort seems to have helped with accessing it.

I'll still wait for 21.04 and reinstall the app at that pooint which hopefully helps.

The "Portal" button also appeared after I selected NodePort.

I don't think I am cluey enough to figure out reverse-Proxy, so might just have to stick to the more basic method for now... The way I've currently got it set up is being able to access the machine from any other device on the home network, and being able to remote into my router using OpenVPN to be able to access anything when I am not home.

mosaati

Cadet
I played around with it a bit more, the default is ClusterIP rather than NodePort, so changing it to the NodePort seems to have helped with accessing it.

I'll still wait for 21.04 and reinstall the app at that pooint which hopefully helps.

I don't think I am cluey enough to figure out reverse-Proxy, so might just have to stick to the more basic method for now... The way I've currently got it set up is being able to access the machine from any other device on the home network, and being able to remote into my router using OpenVPN to be able to access anything when I am not home.

Thanks to jc21's Nginx Proxy Manager (NPM) Reverse-Proxying is much easier now for users who do not have much experience in Nginx configuration. It is really great if you want to look into setting up a reverse proxy. You can use the docker container for easy deployment.

It will be great when TrueNAS Scale is able to deploy docker stacks from the web-ui. For now You could do it manually through ssh, but remember to change the host side ports from 80 and 443 so you wouldn't have port conflicts with TrueNAS's own web-ui ports.

sp3tsnaz

Cadet
One more question if you get a chance to see this thread again. Back when I used FreeNAS with jails, it let me mount my volumes which I could then see in Emby which I used back then. Now in Jellyfin I am trying to mount the same media folders, and when I try searching for them within the folder structure under /mnt/xxx/xxx which is where they usually live, I can't see those folders. As soon as I select /mnt in jellyfin, it doesn't give me any sub folders.

Should I be adding that path to be visible to Jellyfin in it's "edit" menu, or is this something 21.04 should make a bit more streamlined?

I've tried searching for some guides but my google has failed me.

Thanks again.

ornias

Wizard
Cool, thanks for your help both! I might wait until the next update and play around with it more then.
That would be the best cause of action, because next update is a breaking change.

Yes thats how you add catalogs in 21.02ALPHA :)
21.04 should (with a bit of luck) contain a GUI way to do the same thing :)

What I used was the repository that was listed specifically in the first screenshot, although I gather that's not the right way about it? I literally copied that word for word.
You definately didn't use the repository listed in the first screenshot. Because you installed TrueCharts and not Kris his private repository (because Kris his repo doesn't contain jellyfin).
Please checkout https://truecharts.org for the project you actually seem to have installed.

In terms of the NodePort, I think I left all the selections on the GUI as default other than changing the timezone.
Maybe it's a good thing to actually look which options you used before assuming it does what you want it to do? ;-)

I also didn't see a "Portal" button on the WebUI after the installation. Unless that's to come in the update?

I think I was very clear this was a 21.04 feature:
"With 21.04 we fixed the "portal" button to always point to the right location of the WebUI, so I do not expext these issues in the future :)"

If you want more information about portals, its 21.02 bugs and other things, please look at our github and documentation.

I don't think I am cluey enough to figure out reverse-Proxy, so might just have to stick to the more basic method for now...

The current (21.02ALPHA) reverse proxy setup is quite complex in a few ways. We developed a completely new way of setting up our Traefik reverse proxy for 21.04ALPHA and are currently working on more documentation.

I'm pretty sure you should be able to use our integrated reverse proxy in 21.04ALPHA :)

---

Thats right, because we advice ANYONE to run our Traefik Reverse Proxy (aka Ingress).
While we do try to keep it working, NodePort is not the way we advice to use TrueCharts in most cases.

Current master version (Made for 21.02ALPHA) containers a number of bugs and is completely reworked for the release of TrueNAS SCALE 21.04ALPHA. So it might be smart to wait.

However: your previous issues where not caused by TrueCharts itself. So you might be fine with the current version for now :)
(Be aware the new version is NOT compatible with the old one!)

The Portal button might appear, but its NOT supported on 21.02ALPHA, it does not work in most cases and is not tested either.
It has been completely redeveloper for 21.04.

---

Thanks to jc21's Nginx Proxy Manager (NPM) Reverse-Proxying is much easier now for users who do not have much experience in Nginx configuration. It is really great if you want to look into setting up a reverse proxy. You can use the docker container for easy deployment.
It's not kubernetes native, it's not the best way of doing reverse proxy on K8S. So at TrueCharts we decided agains implementing this.

With TrueCharts 21.04 install traefik, enable reverse proxy on any app you want and enter the hostname you want.
Thats it.

I think a lot easier than said reverse proxy.

---

Back when I used FreeNAS with jails, it let me mount my volumes which I could then see in Emby which I used back then.
If you look carefully at the installation wizard, you can add 1 config folder and one "media" folder. The second (media) is mounted at /media inside the container.

Should I be adding that path to be visible to Jellyfin in it's "edit" menu, or is this something 21.04 should make a bit more streamlined?
The 21.04 release of Truecharts (thats TrueCharts, not TrueNAS!), includes a few improvements to make it easier to add more than one media container and add them to custom locations.

I've tried searching for some guides but my google has failed me.

Thanks again.

I HIGHLY suggest you start with looking out our github (and not just skimming the readme!) and at our website/wiki for information.
If it isn't there, PLEASE just file a github discussion at us directly.

mosaati

Cadet
It's not kubernetes native, it's not the best way of doing reverse proxy on K8S. So at TrueCharts we decided agains implementing this.

With TrueCharts 21.04 install traefik, enable reverse proxy on any app you want and enter the hostname you want.
Thats it.

I think a lot easier than said reverse proxy.

I totally understand and definitely support internal ingress through traefik as no major configuration is required to expose the pods.

My only concern is how complicated it will be when I need to expose other services that are not actually running on TrueNAS as there will be a need for another reverse proxy to map those.

This is why I opt to use it. Unless, maybe, there would be an option to add an ingress record with a custom location for other services not on TrueNAS.

ornias

Wizard
This is why I opt to use it. Unless, maybe, there would be an option to add an ingress record with a custom location for other services not on TrueNAS.
TrueCharts as soon as 21.04 hits has that feature, due to multiple community requests :)
(it's available under "advanced")

mosaati

Cadet
TrueCharts as soon as 21.04 hits has that feature, due to multiple community requests :)
(it's available under "advanced")
Eagerly waiting.

Edit: Can you point me to any of the requests for this feature? I have a minor request and I don't want to post a new request if it was mentioned.

Last edited: