confused on how ports work with docker containers

Blaze

Cadet
Hi All,

Like the title says, I'm trying to run jellyfin as a docker container on my truenas scale install but the port configurations are confusing me. It seems that none of ports that I try to open in the gui when im setting up the docker work, however if I don't open any ports, the default ports for jellyfin work nonetheless.

I'm trying to enable the https function/ports for remote connections.

Thanks

Blaze

Cadet
hi @morganL ,

theres 2 issues I've had with the truecharts applications so far

1) Although not a huge issue, the truecharts/official applications are more resource heavy(ram) than the docker equivalents.
2) I am not able to assign static IP addresses to each separate application and accessing them through nginx reverse proxy manager does not work. it works well with the docker containers.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
hi @morganL ,

theres 2 issues I've had with the truecharts applications so far

1) Although not a huge issue, the truecharts/official applications are more resource heavy(ram) than the docker equivalents.
2) I am not able to assign static IP addresses to each separate application and accessing them through nginx reverse proxy manager does not work. it works well with the docker containers.

If you can assign static IPs... doesn't that reduce need the port mapping?

In any case, It would be useful to report what port mapping you did.... lets see if anyone can see the issue?
For example, are the ports used by any other app?

Blaze

Cadet
If you can assign static IPs... doesn't that reduce need the port mapping?

In any case, It would be useful to report what port mapping you did.... lets see if anyone can see the issue?
For example, are the ports used by any other app?

thats the thing, I didn't map/open any ports when creating the container, but the application/docker container that I created still has the usual/default ports used for the application open. Which is weird because I've never seen it work in any other form of dockers that I've used.

Blaze

Cadet
Taking Jellyfin for example, I used the image of lscr.io/linuxserver/jellyfin . jellyfin by default uses the 8096 port for its webapp. I didnt map the 8096 port when launching the docker image, but the port is still open and it does work. If I try to open other ports in the same docker image possible for other things, those don't work.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Taking Jellyfin for example, I used the image of lscr.io/linuxserver/jellyfin . jellyfin by default uses the 8096 port for its webapp. I didnt map the 8096 port when launching the docker image, but the port is still open and it does work. If I try to open other ports in the same docker image possible for other things, those don't work.
It sounds to me that the Jellyfin docker image is operating as expected.
The other images might have issues or incompatibilities.

sretalla