Qs about the Kubernetes support in TrueNAS Scale?

spotter

Dabbler
1) Is the kubernetes support meant to be used for clustering solutions (i.e Deployments / StatefulSets across multiple nodes) or is it really just meant as single node solution to run "docker" based apps on a single node? I can't remember where (perhaps older version), but I seem to recall it being only single node before?

2) along those lines, is the VM support going to be through kubernetes (ala kubevirt) or something totally independent from kubernetes? a quick search for kubevirt didn't bring anything up, so my guess is not?

3) relatedly to 1 and 2, is their any conception of having a "GKE" type system for bringing up independent kubernetes clusters as a set of VMs (with the possible to scale them up and down), while using the zfs pools for one's persistent (or even ephemeral) storage?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
1) Is the kubernetes support meant to be used for clustering solutions (i.e Deployments / StatefulSets across multiple nodes) or is it really just meant as single node solution to run "docker" based apps on a single node? I can't remember where (perhaps older version), but I seem to recall it being only single node before?

2) along those lines, is the VM support going to be through kubernetes (ala kubevirt) or something totally independent from kubernetes? a quick search for kubevirt didn't bring anything up, so my guess is not?

3) relatedly to 1 and 2, is their any conception of having a "GKE" type system for bringing up independent kubernetes clusters as a set of VMs (with the possible to scale them up and down), while using the zfs pools for one's persistent (or even ephemeral) storage?
1) Single node in Angelfish release. Clustering in Bluefin next year.
2) Kubevirt is planned for bluefin next year
3) You can bring up VMs via APIs.... what you put in them, is your business.

spotter

Dabbler
hmm. so my reading was correct. which I guess to an extent makes sense, want to deliver a first product that replaces truenas as is. I assumes upgrades between versions will be fully supported? so going from single node to clustering will hopefully be transparent?

re 3) its probably right that even with kubevirt it wont be something built in, but owuld have to be an operator managing the set of VMs as a cluster on top of kubevirt. Perhaps something I'd want to build.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
hmm. so my reading was correct. which I guess to an extent makes sense, want to deliver a first product that replaces truenas as is. I assumes upgrades between versions will be fully supported? so going from single node to clustering will hopefully be transparent?

re 3) its probably right that even with kubevirt it wont be something built in, but owuld have to be an operator managing the set of VMs as a cluster on top of kubevirt. Perhaps something I'd want to build.
Going from single node to clustering... the goal is "manageable"... not necessarily "transparent"