BUILD Proposed low-energy NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorious1

Guru
Well, I finally got FreeNAS to fully boot, thanks in large part to the important help I received here. I learned some interesting things in the process.
  1. The JAVA Aten iKVM viewer associated with the web IPMI access started crashing and freezing, no matter what I do, and leaving error logs in my home directory. Something about a core dump failure. So now I have no choice but to use the KVM console that comes out of the Java IPMIview. Bummer.
  2. The only way to get into BIOS settings is with the virtual keyboard. That thing is a bit tedious.
  3. The internal USB port on this board is USB3. When I disable USB3 in BIOS, as the manual suggests, the port is completely disabled and the USB stick is not seen during boot. When I enable USB3, FreeNAS starts to load but gets stuck along the way (the mountroot> prompt in the image above).
  4. So the way I got it to work, and apparently the only way, was to put the stick in a rear USB2 port. Weird, huh?
Am I misinterpreting anything here?
The manual:
USB 3.0 support is disabled by default as it currently is not compatible with some hardware, including Haswell (Lynx point) chipsets. If you receive a "failed with error 19" message when trying to boot FreeNAS®, make sure that xHCI/USB3 is disabled in the system BIOS. While this will downclock the USB ports to 2.0, the bootup and shutdown times will not be significantly different.
I never did receive that "failed with error 19" message, but it didn'tt work anyway. What's that about xHCI? Is that another BIOS setting I should mess with?

sremick

Patron
That would be unfortunate. The internal USB port on my ASRock MB worked great and I was very excited to be able to use it. I can understand being bummed about having to use an external port... I would've been as well.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's no need to disable USB 3.0 in BIOS unless you're having trouble.

Glorious1

Guru
There's no need to disable USB 3.0 in BIOS unless you're having trouble.
Well, I was having trouble, but disabling USB3 didn't help - it just killed the port completely.

DaveFL

Explorer
Last edited:

Glorious1

Guru
Enabling USB3 in FreeNAS worked DaveFL, thanks very much! I've moved the USB flash drive back to the internal port and it's working now.

Status
Not open for further replies.