Problems with NFS share subdirectory/content

tibblist

Dabbler
So I have an NFS share on a pool and a smb share on a dataset in that pool that unfortunately has a space in the name so I can't make the nfs share there. I mount the nfs share in ubuntu with sudo mount share local_location. When I navigate there I can go into the dataset but cannot go into any folders that were placed in the dataset. Is this a problem since the folders and files from that point where placed with a smb fileshare? I am trying to allow my vm in freenas to access files I moved there from my windows computer. I have all directories checked on the nfs share.
Edit: When I try to directly mount an underlying folder it says permission denied even though I did allow subdirectors in the share settings.

Last edited:

KrisBee

Wizard
If your NFS share is on the entire pool, then your problem is described in the FreeNAS guide in section 12.3. Namely:

Each pool or dataset is considered to be a unique filesystem. Individual NFS shares cannot cross filesystem boundaries. Adding paths to share more directories only works if those directories are within the same filesystem.

tibblist

Dabbler
Is there any way to rename a dataset so it can work with both smb and nfs? When I edit the dataset the name doesn't seem to be able to be changed

KrisBee

Wizard
Short answer is no, not by simply renamig. People do share the same data using both SMB & NFS at the same time and claim there's no problem. Personally, I'm not convinced this isn't just a recipe for inconsistent behaviour.

If you want to share the same data to both to an external window clinet and an internal linux VM, why not just use SMB for both?