NFS Subdirectory Permission Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plastic

Cadet
I have a dataset in my storage pool set up for my user. Within that, I've created a second pictures dataset.

So, /mnt/storage/my_user/ and /mnt/storage/my_user/pictures are both datasets. Permissions are set correctly for my user.

I have an NFS share configured for /mnt/storage/my_user. UIDs and GIDs match on both my local machine and on FreeNAS (1000:1000 on both).

When I mount this share, it mostly works as expected. I can read and write files, create directories, etc. However, the subdirectory pictures has the permissions root:my_user. I can cd into it, but I can't view any files or subdirectories inside the folder. I've tried checking the "All Directories" checkbox on the share options, but that doesn't help. With that checked, I still can't mount /mnt/storage/my_user/pictures either. In order to mount it, I have to create an entirely separate share for the directory.

I have some experience with NFS, and this doesn't seem like standard behavior. Am I doing something dumb here?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
If I remember correctly, sharing a dataset via NFS does not make child datasets available. Checking "All Directories" makes subdirectories visible, but a child dataset is not a subdirectory.

EDIT: According to the documentation, "Each volume or dataset is considered to be its own filesystem and NFS is not able to cross filesystem boundaries."

Status
Not open for further replies.