Problems with boot-pool and startup after clean install

h.enrik

Cadet
Hi,
I am having issues with getting my truenas installation to boot after a clean install.
Let's just begin with that i am a real beginner when it comes to Linux systems and truenas systems. This is the first truenas box im trying to set up. I've used ubuntu before on my laptop and only did some basic stuff through terminal.
I got hold on some older HP systems for real cheap and though they would be great for a basic home lab and nas. But im running into some issues.

The system i'm trying to run this on is a older HP computer, HP RP5800 Desktop with:
Intel Core i5 2400
8gb DDR3 HP memory
two Toshiba 500gb HDD and a SSD for boot.

I made the installation drive on my laptop using win10 and rufus 3.20, ejected the drive. Boot up on the HP system and goes through the installation with no problems. The screen with "installation successful reboot and remove installationmedia" pops up. I shut down the system and remove the drive. Try booting up, and the system displays a blank screen with text: "Non-system disk or disk error. No bootable device found". And here the problems begin.

The SSD im using for boot are brand new Kingston SA400S37/240G.

First i thought the drive was bad so i tried with an old SSD i had at home, an Crucial M4 64gb. Same issue.
Thought the boot order was wrong. tried change it, nope.
Tried disable all the security settings in bios if the old desktop wouldnt let it boot. Still problem.
Installed the latest bios from HP. Problem remains.
Switched sata ports on motherboard, still problem.
Disconnected the HDDs, still problem.
Disabled efi boot devices, and legacy boot devices vice versa. No fix.

Out of curiosity i plugged in the drive to my laptop using a sata to usb adapter i have. And it boots up no problem, and im left with the screen of nine choises, fully booted. But didnt have network plugged in so i ended that test there. And then i though why not try to boot the HP box using the usb - sata adapter. And here we go, it boots but halts at "Cannot import boot-pool, import manually". And here i stand now. If i connect the SSD to sata the system will not boot off it, and a usb boot device is not recommended.

In this process i have tried with the two latest releases of truenas scale. 22.02.2.1 and 22.02.3. Later i am going to try 22.02.0.

Any ideas on solution of this issue?
I really want to use Truenas. I have tried to install ubuntu on the Kingston SSD and it booted no issue. Right now im leaning to a Truenas issue since the drive works no problem with other system.

homer27081990

Patron
For what target did you install?
InstallVMBootMode.png

Older systems did not have such flexible bios (or uefi). Try to fiddle with the compatibility support module in BIOS.

h.enrik

Cadet
For what target did you install?
InstallVMBootMode.png

Older systems did not have such flexible bios (or uefi). Try to fiddle with the compatibility support module in BIOS.
I did not even get that option during the install. I will try switch compatibility.

h.enrik

Cadet
Get a fresh iso first, something is wrong about this one, if you did not get the option. The link for CORE is here, the link for SCALE is here.
I tried the iso you linked. Same thing, no choice of uefi or bios. And same problem as before. Tried install to both usb thumb drive and ssd at same time, it boots directly up and i can access it through web ui. But if i unplug the usb-drive it shows error message ”non system disk”.

Tried installing ubuntu, fedora and windows to the same ssd to rule out drive fault. All other systems installs and runs with no problem.

homer27081990

Patron
I tried the iso you linked. Same thing, no choice of uefi or bios. And same problem as before. Tried install to both usb thumb drive and ssd at same time, it boots directly up and i can access it through web ui. But if i unplug the usb-drive it shows error message ”non system disk”.

Tried installing ubuntu, fedora and windows to the same ssd to rule out drive fault. All other systems installs and runs with no problem.
Wait. If you install on USB, you leave it there. Forever... (Most rack servers have internal on-board USB slots)

Redcoat

MVP
Wait. If you install on USB, you leave it there. Forever... (Most rack servers have internal on-board USB slots)
Not "these days". Typical USB drives as TrueNAS boot devices wear out quickly and are no longer recommended. OP is right to pursue using an alternative device. I'm not sure, though, what his problem is here...

homer27081990

Patron
Not "these days". Typical USB drives as TrueNAS boot devices wear out quickly and are no longer recommended. OP is right to pursue using an alternative device. I'm not sure, though, what his problem is here...
I am not saying it is an ideal solution, but it is the one he is trying, I think...

homer27081990

Patron
Just out of curiosity, is a USB to SATA adapter with an SSD a good solution for someone that has no other option than USB?

homer27081990

Patron

I think that somewhere in the manual, in the bios they have some weird HP specific HDD layout option? Translation mode, I think.

Redcoat

MVP
Just out of curiosity, is a USB to SATA adapter with an SSD a good solution for someone that has no other option than USB?
I believe that I have seen posts from people allegedly doing that successfully.

h.enrik

Cadet
Hi, have not been able to get it workning the way i want yet. Currently i am running on a usb-stick. Ideal solution would be internal sata ssd because i use my usb to sata adapter regularly with other systems and drives.

Even though i'm running on a usb stick i'm still running in to weird issues. Like CPU report only shows that im running one core and one thread. Well since i dont know really where to continue im running like this for a while then maybe switch to something else. Was really wrong of me to think truenas was goining to be easy like all the videos out there o_O