Fresh TrueNAS install Won’t Complete First Boot

Tlister

Cadet
Hi all,

While I’m a IT professional for the last 10 years or so, I’m new to TrueNAS. The setup process seemed fairly easy and straightforward, though has been seemingly anything but that for me.

Issue: System will not complete first boot after installation. Final line in boot process:

i915 000:00:02.0: enabling device (0006 -> 0007)

I have attempted about everything at this point as far as troubleshooting goes. I tried booting from iGPU with nvidia GPU out of system but with that, the video signal goes dead after what appears to be this same point in the boot process. The system is not getting to console setup, and is not consuming an IP address.

Hardware:

HP ProDesk 400 G4
Intel i5-7500
8GB DDR4 RAM
128GB SATA SSD
2 x 4TB Seagate Constellation ES.3 7200RPM 3.5” HDD
Intel HD 630 graphics
Nvidia GeForce GT 730 2GB

Screenshot is attached of point of boot hang.

Attachments

• 21C43776-676F-4F61-9643-A4FDAEACBC10.jpeg
    21C43776-676F-4F61-9643-A4FDAEACBC10.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 319

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Intel i5-7500
Intel HD 630 graphics
Nvidia GeForce GT 730 2GB
Most users have zero GPUs, why do you feel the need to have two of them? Which of them are you even monitoring? What do you have configured in the system setup as the primary video output?
It looks like the system hangs just about at the point where the graphics mode might be switched to the native driver, instead of relying on UEFI video modes.
I tried booting from iGPU with nvidia GPU out of system but with that, the video signal goes dead after what appears to be this same point in the boot process.
See above - start by looking into the system firmware setup menu to see if there any conspicuous settings that might be interfering with normal operation. Probably a fairly weird option, because Intel graphics are well-supported in Linux, so TrueNAS Scale (You neglected to mention that it's Scale, that's important and easy to miss if someone were to skip the screenshot.) shouldn't really be having trouble getting the local console to work.
If that does not reveal any obvious candidates, there are a few other things you can also try:
  • Update the system firmware.
  • Trying whichever boot method you haven't yet, CSM or native UEFI.
  • Disable the iGPU, plug the monitor into the discrete GPU and try again.
  • Give TrueNAS Core a try.
  • Give your favorite Linux distro a go and see how it behaves.
Some sidenotes:

I hope this is just a "playing around and getting to know TrueNAS" machine, because a Realtek 8111 NIC can be optimistically described as a miserable experience. On top of that, 8GB is half of what is generally seen as the minimum requirement (though, with fewer asterisks, it is the old minimum requirement) and you're limited to 16GB max, thanks to a single DIMM slot.

Tlister

Cadet
Most users have zero GPUs, why do you feel the need to have two of them? Which of them are you even monitoring? What do you have configured in the system setup as the primary video output?
It looks like the system hangs just about at the point where the graphics mode might be switched to the native driver, instead of relying on UEFI video modes.

See above - start by looking into the system firmware setup menu to see if there any conspicuous settings that might be interfering with normal operation. Probably a fairly weird option, because Intel graphics are well-supported in Linux, so TrueNAS Scale (You neglected to mention that it's Scale, that's important and easy to miss if someone were to skip the screenshot.) shouldn't really be having trouble getting the local console to work.
If that does not reveal any obvious candidates, there are a few other things you can also try:
  • Update the system firmware.
  • Trying whichever boot method you haven't yet, CSM or native UEFI.
  • Disable the iGPU, plug the monitor into the discrete GPU and try again.
  • Give TrueNAS Core a try.
  • Give your favorite Linux distro a go and see how it behaves.
Some sidenotes:

I hope this is just a "playing around and getting to know TrueNAS" machine, because a Realtek 8111 NIC can be optimistically described as a miserable experience. On top of that, 8GB is half of what is generally seen as the minimum requirement (though, with fewer asterisks, it is the old minimum requirement) and you're limited to 16GB max, thanks to a single DIMM slot.
Definitely just a hobby build for a cheap file and local 4K Plex Server. It’ll be backed up to Google Cloud anyways, so I’m not too concerned about reliability. Everything was a refurb eBay buy, and GPU came in the system for free, so I’ll take it. I actually got the MT variant so I could use two 3.5” drives and it has 2 DIMM slots so I do plan on chucking in an extra 8GB if I can find a good deal on a matching stick.

After updating BIOS and disabling iGPU, decided to give TrueNAS core a try and it installed without issue. Hate myself for not trying it sooner.

Thanks for the help!