Boot-Pool I/O error on SSD

bencooke

Cadet
First of all, I've used FreeNAS for years and it is awesome! I've recently switched over to TrueNas on one of my servers. The only problem I have ever had is boot errors. For the longest time I "got away" with usb flash drives for the OS. They mess up every now and then and I replace them, no big deal. I decided to finally use an SSD drive for the OS, so I wouldn't have to do that so much, lo and behold I have the same problem. What ends up happening is the GUI quits working after a few days maybe a week. Shares quit working and ssh quits working. Sometimes, the only way I know something is wrong is if I try to go the the Web GUI and nothing happens. I can still ping the machine though. I can also unplug and plug my keyboard back in and it shows the output of that action on screen, but the keyboard still doesn't work. My VMs still work and show no problems though. It says "WARNING: Pool 'boot-pool' has encountered an uncorrectable I/O failure and has been suspended." I can't use the keyboard, so I have to switch the power off and back on. It boots up fine after that, last for a few more days and does it again. I don't think I've ever had a *nux system lock up in this way. This is on an HP DL380 Gen5, with a SATA controller that I bought specifically for TrueNAS. Before this, I was using the onboard SD card, then decided that was a bad idea and switched the OS to an Intel 80GB SSD drive.

This has happened a few times since I installed TrueNAS around Christmas. What's going on here? What is TrueNAS doing that fiddles around with the boot-pool so much? I have FreeNAS 11 on a Rackable Systems server that has been running off of a flash drive for years with little issue. Is it just a bad drive and my luck?

bencooke

Cadet
I figured it out. The back plane on the drive was causing the issue. I replaced the SSD with two HD terabyte drives. I had to reinstall the OS, but It seems to be running a lot faster now.