Problems connecting UPS

cutthr0at

Cadet
Hello,

I'm having problems with getting my UPS to work with TrueNas.
I've selected correct driver, port etc., but im getting error messages .

ugen1.2: <PPC Offline UPS> at usbus1 (disconnected)
ugen1.2: <PPC Offline UPS> at usbus1
interface uhid.1 already present in the KLD 'kernel'!
linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/uhid.ko - unsupported file type
interface wmt.1 already present in the KLD 'kernel'!
linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/wmt.ko - unsupported file type

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-04-03 22-21-26.png
    Screenshot from 2021-04-03 22-21-26.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 211

Frozenstiff

Cadet
I'm having the same problem. My UPS is a CyberPower OR1500LCDRM1U. I read on a FreeBSD forum that you can disable the modules, but since this is a heavily modified version I didn't want to do that without advice first. I'm not sure why the system doesn't just ignore the modules if the drivers are already present in the kernel. Mine keeps attempting to connect then disconnecting with an error:

Screenshot_20210409-133447_Opera.jpg

Let me know if anyone that can help needs more information or a screenshot that isn't from my phone, though there wasn't much else from the log.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

unseen

Contributor
I am seeing a similar issue. I recently re-installed the latest TrueNAS and restored my saved configuration after installing a pair of SATA SSDs internally to replace the USB stick that I had as my boot pool. The server is built around an AsRock Rack E3C224D2I with 16GB ECC memory and a Core i3-4150 CPU.

When I built this NAS several years ago, I had repeated problems with my UPS disconnecting and then coming back online. I solved that problem by compiling a custom version of the blazer_usb driver with my own fixes for the bug that caused the issue. This was back when TrueNAS was still FreeNAS. At some time, an update installed a version of blazer_usb which worked and I no longer needed to replace it with the custom version after each update.

Before the re-install to the internal SATA SSD and mirroring that the the other drive, I was running the latest release of TrueNAS (12.0-U3) without seeing this problem. After the re-install, everything still worked as expected. Then I installed the latest update to TrueNAS Core 12.0-U3.1. I am now seeing the UPS randomly disconnect again and I'm also seeing these messages in the output from dmesg:

ugen2.3: <INNO TECH USB to Serial> at usbus2 (disconnected) ugen2.3: <INNO TECH USB to Serial> at usbus2 interface uhid.1 already present in the KLD 'kernel'! linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/uhid.ko - unsupported file type interface wmt.1 already present in the KLD 'kernel'! linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/wmt.ko - unsupported file type

So, there seems to have been a regression in the latest update which re-introduced the bug in blazer_usb which was fixed years ago and which adds a new problem with the USB HID and WMT drivers. There is nothing in the release notes for this version which suggests that any changes have been made which affect USB drivers or devices.

papalangi

Dabbler
same problem with CPS VP1000ELCD. After installation in Truenas 12.0 U3.1 the UPS worked fine. After Update to 12.0 U4 the same error as described here occurred. Then I went back to 12.0 U3.1 -> it worked again. After some research I found, that it is error in FreeBSD, so I decided to wait for a new update in Truenas.
But last week I had a shutdown after a power failure, the machine rebooted in 12.0 U3.1, but here always occurred the same error than in U4.

Code:
Jun 20 11:38:29 truenas ugen0.2: <CPS VP1000ELCD> at usbus0
Jun 20 11:38:30 truenas interface uhid.1 already present in the KLD 'kernel'!
Jun 20 11:38:30 truenas linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/uhid.ko - unsupported file type
Jun 20 11:38:30 truenas interface wmt.1 already present in the KLD 'kernel'!
Jun 20 11:38:30 truenas linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/wmt.ko - unsupported file type
Jun 20 11:38:37 truenas ugen0.2: <CPS VP1000ELCD> at usbus0 (disconnected)

This error message repeats now every 12seconds.
Any idea how to fix this?
I read that this error is linked to the hardware, so my hardware is a supermicor X11SCL-IF

papalangi

Dabbler
Now I tested a little bit: in configure UPS I set the port from "/dev/ugen0.2" to "auto" and then it works again.
I don't know why. But still with 12.0 U3.1. I didn't test it with U4

unseen

Contributor
What I thought was an old problem which had come back turned out to be a problem with the USB port I was using.

When I moved my UPS to another port and updated the configuration, the problem stopped. The only difference between the two ports is that the one I had problems with is a USB3 port and the other, which the UPS is now working faultlessly on, is a USB2 port.
Whether the port is USB3 or USB 2 shouldn't make any difference, but sometimes "should not" isn't the same as "does not".

ChrisRJ

Wizard
What you describe is unfortunately not an uncommon problem. For some reason the timings seem to get in the way when USB3 is used.