Problem to configure duckdns on freenas and zte router

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Ask your router manual, the router manufacturer, the router community forum ... none of this is a FreeNAS issue.
You said you redirected port 80 and 443. But your Nextcloud is not running on these ports. So do what you already did but for port 8282, I guess ...

siropmoss

Dabbler
Ask your router manual, the router manufacturer, the router community forum ... none of this is a FreeNAS issue.
You said you redirected port 80 and 443. But your Nextcloud is not running on these ports. So do what you already did but for port 8282, I guess ...
i´ll try

danb35

Hall of Famer
Connection timed out/ couldn´t access this page. That is what it shows.
So indeed, it does do something--it gives you an error message. That would have been helpful to know a week ago. That error doesn't rule out DNS as the cause of the problem, but it doesn't very clearly indicate it either--there are many other things that could cause that error.

Does your DDNS name point to the correct IP address? Use the tool I linked above to check.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You said you redirected port 80 and 443
...but if he's getting "connection timed out", there are likely other issues as well. I don't think the full GUI will load with only those ports (which is just as well; it shouldn't be exposed to the Internet), but he'd see some of it.

siropmoss

Dabbler
I guess exposing my nextcloud and my freenas to the Internet is not the best option. So, i also guess i won´t be capable to access my freenas files from outside my network. I am right?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
but if he's getting "connection timed out", there are likely other issues as well.
Default gateway on the NAS missing?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I guess exposing my nextcloud and my freenas to the Internet is not the best option.
Nextcloud and FreeNAS itself are two completely different things. Nextcloud, if you take reasonable steps to secure it (like not using the plugin, using TLS, using strong passwords, etc.), is pretty secure, and can reasonably safely be exposed to the Internet--it's designed for that. The FreeNAS GUI and sharing protocols aren't.

siropmoss

Dabbler
So indeed, it does do something--it gives you an error message. That would have been helpful to know a week ago. That error doesn't rule out DNS as the cause of the problem, but it doesn't very clearly indicate it either--there are many other things that could cause that error.

Does your DDNS name point to the correct IP address? Use the tool I linked above to check.
I have used the tool, and my DDNS point to my router public ip

danb35

Hall of Famer
I have used the tool, and my DDNS point to my router public ip
Then in that case, DNS is not your problem--the DDNS service may or may not be working as intended, but it isn't your immediate problem. Having finally determined that, the likely candidate is your router configuration. I'm not at all familiar with the capabilities of your device, and the web searching I'm doing isn't finding much in the way of documentation for it. You might be better off putting it in bridge mode, and putting a more-capable router behind it.

siropmoss

Dabbler
one question, when forwarding ports on my router what do I have to do with my NAS IP and with nextcloud IP? And with 8282 port?

danb35

Hall of Famer
What I personally think you should do is ditch the plugin and its messy use of NAT (which, AFAICT, makes it impossible to implement TLS there), and use my script instead:

Then Nextcloud will have its own IP address, distinct from the FreeNAS box. Forward ports 80 and 443 to that IP address. As a bonus, it will handle TLS certificates for you too.

If you don't want to do that (perhaps because you already have data in the Nextcloud plugin), set up a reverse proxy that will handle TLS termination for you. I have a guide for that as well:

Then forward 80/443 to that jail's IP address. If you'd rather use a different reverse proxy software instead, there are other guides in the Resources section using Nginx and perhaps other software as well.

siropmoss

Dabbler
What I personally think you should do is ditch the plugin and its messy use of NAT (which, AFAICT, makes it impossible to implement TLS there), and use my script instead:

Then Nextcloud will have its own IP address, distinct from the FreeNAS box. Forward ports 80 and 443 to that IP address. As a bonus, it will handle TLS certificates for you too.

If you don't want to do that (perhaps because you already have data in the Nextcloud plugin), set up a reverse proxy that will handle TLS termination for you. I have a guide for that as well:

Then forward 80/443 to that jail's IP address. If you'd rather use a different reverse proxy software instead, there are other guides in the Resources section using Nginx and perhaps other software as well.
I will try it. Thank you