First steps of a newbie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revon Tuli

Cadet
Hi there ppl!

I'm new to freenas and don't know where to post my problem.
So. I have installed Freenas on my old computer for learning and free time doing. Nothing special yet, just having fun.
CPU: intel quad core q9650 3ghz.
RAM: 8gb ddr3 4x2gb
2x500gb HDD
http://shop.itema-pg.com/userfiles/editor/file/ds-ESPRIMO-P5731-EStar5.pdf

Install went smoothly, i have set up windows shares and accounts for wife and myself. Works on lan nicely. Except the lag when windows connects to freenas, but once im in my home folder, works without problem. I have 2 other pc on the network with win10 and seven. I decided to step forward and tried to set up SSH so i can access my freenas from the net. (android tablet) I had no success so far. In freenas things are configured. Found some nice guide on the net. Also using duckdns and cron job is running.

First problem is my router.
huawei b315s-22. i have 4g internet and all of our computers connecting to the router with cable.
i tried to forward the port, but i havent find an option for it. Under the Virtual server option i tried open port 22.
Name WAN Port LAN IP Address LAN Port Protocol Status
SSH 22 192.168.100.12 22 tcp on

Thats how it looks right now. I dont know if its right, specially the wan port. i found no information about to freenas ssh and wan port configuration. I cant ping my server and connect to it from my pc (filezilla) either my tablet.
Filezilla tries to connect
fzSftp started, protocol_version=4 after connection timeout.
Also thinking about change the port, because it can be that my isp blocking it, still looking for info in that subject.
After a router/freenas restart ip changes. Is there a way to prevent that?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Does SSH work properly within your LAN?
Also using duckdns and cron job is running.
Please elaborate.

It's hard to test port forwarding from inside your own network. Also, exposing FreeNAS to the public internet, even if only via SSH, seems like a risky endeavor for a self-proclaimed newbie.
After a router/freenas restart ip changes. Is there a way to prevent that?
Configure your FreeNAS with a static IP address outside your router's DHCP range, or use a DHCP reservation in your router.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
And also, while we're talking about it, if you put an ssh listener on port 22 visible to the internet, you will (almost immediately) gain a following of several hundred Russian and Chinese hackers that will pound on your sshd 24 hours per day. Do not do that.

Use a WAN port of something crazy (44112, for example), to forward to lan port 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.