Problem Installing Nextcloud on TrueNas

OnePieceLuffy

Dabbler
I'm desperately trying to install nexcloud through the plugins. But each time it gives me this error: Error: Jail: nextcloud-jail has a missing configuration, please check that the dataset is mounted. I don't understand where my mistake is.

I'm desperately trying to install nexcloud through the plugins. But each time it gives me this error: Error: Jail: nextcloud-jail has a missing configuration, please check that the dataset is mounted. I don't understand where my mistake is.

do this (you will thank me):

OnePieceLuffy

Dabbler
do this (you will thank me):

I have already seen this site but, I don't get it. And if I understand correctly, I cannot install it (nexcloud, or other) if there is no domain name, not even locally as a result.

Apollo

Wizard
thank you, too complicated for me I start. pity that it is not easier via plugin from TrueNas. I tried but I'm still bugging it.
If you don't understand the install process, then maybe you should avoid installing Nextcloud in the first place.
If you are willing to learn the many aspect around Nextcloud and FreeNAS/TrueNAS, then you need to give yourself some leeway to learn, provide useful information and then you will get better help of the community and hopefully you will learn a great deal.

Otherwise, I would say to just forget it.

OnePieceLuffy

Dabbler
If you don't understand the install process, then maybe you should avoid installing Nextcloud in the first place.
If you are willing to learn the many aspect around Nextcloud and FreeNAS/TrueNAS, then you need to give yourself some leeway to learn, provide useful information and then you will get better help of the community and hopefully you will learn a great deal.

Otherwise, I would say to just forget it.
Unfortunately, there are so many Tutorials on the web on this subject that work or not, or for beginners are too complicated. And when the Plugin function makes it easy to do so, which doesn't work, why? Even with other plugins the same error. In my opinion it should work in this direction, otherwise it is useless to put a facility which does not work.

adrianwi

Guru
I was going to be flippant and post a link to the Synology website, but my Google search included Synology and Nextcloud.

Have you seen how complicated it is to set-up Nextcloud on a Synology NAS? https://mariushosting.com/how-to-install-nextcloud-on-your-synology-nas/. It's probably easier on TrueNAS, although does require the use of some shell/SSH command.

Nextcloud is not really click-and-play software, as there are a number of moving parts if you want to do things properly, and if you don't then you're just creating future problems for yourself.

Apollo

Wizard
Unfortunately, there are so many Tutorials on the web on this subject that work or not, or for beginners are too complicated. And when the Plugin function makes it easy to do so, which doesn't work, why? Even with other plugins the same error. In my opinion it should work in this direction, otherwise it is useless to put a facility which does not work.
Maybe you should read Danb35 post or go the "Resources" page of this forum:

https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/

I think the plugin should be avoided as it doesn't give you enough control, especially to have it supported on the long run and be able to manage your data safely.
Often, network settings, firewall and DNS are at the root of the problem.

nemesis1782

Contributor
I was going to be flippant and post a link to the Synology website, but my Google search included Synology and Nextcloud.

Have you seen how complicated it is to set-up Nextcloud on a Synology NAS? https://mariushosting.com/how-to-install-nextcloud-on-your-synology-nas/. It's probably easier on TrueNAS, although does require the use of some shell/SSH command.

I have actually setup nextcloud on a Synology NAS and it's rather straight forward. Also keep in mind that a shell is scary to some and for good reason. I would not advice anyone who does not know what they are doing to do something through a shell.

Nextcloud is not really click-and-play software, as there are a number of moving parts if you want to do things properly, and if you don't then you're just creating future problems for yourself.
That is indeed correct so if you @OnePieceLuffy feel overwhelmed at the installation. Either get the knowledge needed or find a different way to do it. If things go awry you'll thank yourself!

@OnePieceLuffy: If this seems complicated I would stear away from this and go for a docker image https://hub.docker.com/_/nextcloud I think TrueNAS has the ability to run dockers if I'm not mistaken. This guy has a video on setting it up (docker that is) I watched a few of his other movies and he seems to know what he's doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBVjuwgz0Cg

adrianwi

Guru
While you can't run Docker natively on TrueNAS Core, it's not that difficult to create a Linux VM on TrueNAS Core and run Docker on that.

nemesis1782

Contributor
@nemesis1782 Truenas Core can't run docker. Truenas Scale can run docker, but is still in alpha.

Well yeah not natively however the movie I added describes how to setup docker using a Ubuntu 20.04LTS VM. Which seems really straight forward. As @adrianwi confirms.

It is however much simpler then getting next cloud setup correctly and safely.

OnePieceLuffy

Dabbler
I have actually setup nextcloud on a Synology NAS and it's rather straight forward. Also keep in mind that a shell is scary to some and for good reason. I would not advice anyone who does not know what they are doing to do something through a shell.

That is indeed correct so if you @OnePieceLuffy feel overwhelmed at the installation. Either get the knowledge needed or find a different way to do it. If things go awry you'll thank yourself!

@OnePieceLuffy: If this seems complicated I would stear away from this and go for a docker image https://hub.docker.com/_/nextcloud I think TrueNAS has the ability to run dockers if I'm not mistaken. This guy has a video on setting it up (docker that is) I watched a few of his other movies and he seems to know what he's doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBVjuwgz0Cg

I like to know why I got this error. I watch the tutorials yes but everyone does not have the same interpretation or approach or even more news, I find it difficult to orient myself on a reliable tutorial.

nemesis1782

Contributor
I like to know why I got this error. I watch the tutorials yes but everyone does not have the same interpretation or approach or even more news, I find it difficult to orient myself on a reliable tutorial.

Ok. I understand. The error is fairly clear if it is correct. The application cannot find it's configuration so it's most probably one of multiple of the following:
- A permissions issue
- A incomplete installation
- A missing/unmounted dataset

You have a number of options. You should probably stick with one or the other:
- Plugins, you tried that, didn't work and the consensus is don't do it. So I'd recommend to stop trying and choosing a different approach
- freenas-iocage-nextcloud (https://github.com/danb35/freenas-iocage-nextcloud) suggested by @robert. This seems straight forward and automated.
- Walkthrough on doing it yourself (https://www.truenas.com/community/r...in-an-iocage-jail-with-hardened-security.143/ ). Provided by redcoat. Looks very detailed and easy to follow
- Docker provided by myself, that shouldn't be to difficult

Mixing and matching is best left to those who are in the know. If you run into issues it helps to provide more information. The current information at hand is far to little to give you any proper guidance.

OnePieceLuffy

Dabbler
Hello, Hello, I found the problem why this is not installed via the plugin. The problem is with the naming of the pool, the plugin does not accept spaces, I had my pool (RAID1 Mirror) so I put a disk dedicated to the application call (apps) is the magic it works. So there is a problem with naming the pool not putting spaces or even special characters that do the same thing.

OnePieceLuffy

Dabbler
en allant verifier sur Nextcloud dans la Vue d'ensemble, j'ai cella :
1616147895582.png

Comment je pourrais résoudre ce problème, suite à la mise à jour mysql8.

nemesis1782

Contributor
en allant verifier sur Nextcloud dans la Vue d'ensemble, j'ai cella :
View attachment 46020
Comment je pourrais résoudre ce problème, suite à la mise à jour mysql8.
Hi Don't speak French but from some keywords in your error I'd say you:
- do not have the environmental variable PATH set (See: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/environmental-variable-in-a-jail.70120/)
- have a permissions issue with the listed folders ((Before doing this make sure you document what the current permission levels are!) As a test just do a chmod 777 for al these directories and see if that solves it. DO NOT LEAVE IT LIKE THAT!!!!! )

A tip, always keep your technical language set to english (so when coding, reading logging) this will make finding solutions and getting help much easier.

nemesis1782

Contributor
Ah ok, thnx. in that case for the first see the documentation (referred to by the link in the error) and configure your webserver properly. It's missing some env vars (I think my previous link still holds true though).

Ok for the other one it says that the owner is different from the webservers user. So findout what user the webserver is running under and change the owner for these folders. This way you can keep the permissions clean.