Can't install a plugin on DHCP jail, only NAT

minititof

Cadet
Hi, I just finished building my DIY NAS with the following (reusing most of the stuff from my old build):

* Ryzen 3600
* 8 GB DDR4
* Asus Prime B350M-A
* Crucial MX200 256 GB SSD
* 2 x 4 TB HDD
* Antec HCG 520W
* Fractal Node 804
* Connected to gigabit internet through ethernet

I installed TrueNAS 12 U2 with a bootable USB, so far so good... Then I configured the network like this (the last 2 DNS are the ones from my router I guess, I didn't input them, and the default route is the IP of my router) and created [a pool with a Plex dataset like this](https://i.imgur.com/JM1gFIu.png). I think so far everything is good? I also managed to install the Nextcloud plugin with default parameters (DHCP off, NAT on) and it works well.

Then my trouble is installing the Plex plugin. First I have created with similar parameters to my Nextcloud plugin:

* DHCP off
* NAT on

=> It did install correctly but when I tried to access the web interface through the URL I could never reach it, even though the jail was running. I read somewhere that Plex can't work with NAT so probably that is expected.

So then I tried with:

* DHCP on
* NAT off

=> The plugin could never install, I get various error messages such as (without changing anything in between):

* "RuntimeError Message: pkg error: - plexmediaserver-plexpass :,ffmpeg : Refusing to fetch artifact and run post_install.sh! Partial plugin destroyed"
* Complex (name of my jail) has a missing configuration, please check that the dataset is mounted.
* RuntimeError Message: pkg error: - ffmpeg : Refusing to fetch artifact and run post_install.sh! Partial plugin destroyed

I notice that almost every time, it fails to install pkg or ffmpeg, it takes a very long time trying that too and retries many times... I also tried without DHCP with a fixed IPv4 IP address but I got the same results... I also tried version 12.0 of TrueNAS and version 11.2 of FreeNAS and it also did not work.

Does someone have any idea what the issue is?

I also tried creating the jail myself and installed Plex following this tutorial, I had to try a couple of times getting the pkg because it kept failing and when it worked it downloaded at a few KB/s which isn't normal. Then when I accessed the web interface, it was SO SLOW and I couldn't play any media because of how slow it was. This might be a good indication to some experts here that something is wrong with my network config?

minititof

Cadet
Since my jails with NAT work but my jail with DHCP + VNET don't, the problem is almost certainly with VNET. Can anybody help me regarding this? I don't understand what I can do to make jails being able to run pkg command etc. with VNET...

minititof

Cadet
Well, I found the solution: uninstalling TrueNAS and installing OpenMediaVault as a VM in Proxmox. Kinda disappointed that not even one person would try to assist me to solve this issue, so I am ditching TrueNAS.

pschatz100

Guru
The problem was probably related to the network interface. That motherboard uses a Realtek interface, which doesn't play nice with FreeBSD, the OS that TrueNAS uses. This is one of the reasons we don't recommend using gaming motherboards for FreeNAS/TrueNAS.

Overall, you will have better luck with a Linux based system such as OpenMediaVault.

Bye.

minititof

Cadet
The problem was probably related to the network interface. That motherboard uses a Realtek interface, which doesn't play nice with FreeBSD, the OS that TrueNAS uses. This is one of the reasons we don't recommend using gaming motherboards for FreeNAS/TrueNAS.

Overall, you will have better luck with a Linux based system such as OpenMediaVault.

Bye.
I wish I knew this information before, TrueNAS isn't really suited for "recycled hardware" then I guess. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

pschatz100

Guru
I wish I knew this information before, TrueNAS isn't really suited for "recycled hardware" then I guess. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
I wouldn't agree with that statement. Lots of people recycle hardware, but there are certain things are are better supported in Windows and Linux than in FreeBSD (the OS that TrueNAS is built on.) TrueNAS doesn't like Realtek network interfaces. It's a very common problem, easily fixed by purchasing an inexpensive intel-based nic and disabling the Realtek one.

A more patient tone in your posts would also be helpful. I know it's frustrating when things don't work, but we're all volunteers trying to help each other out. You could have also read some of the pinned posts about recommended hardware - and if you had searched for jail networking or VNET problems, you might have run across the answer yourself. As it is, you posted your first post on Sunday and I came across it on Wednesday. Not exactly terrible.

minititof

Cadet
I wouldn't agree with that statement. Lots of people recycle hardware, but there are certain things are are better supported in Windows and Linux than in FreeBSD (the OS that TrueNAS is built on.) TrueNAS doesn't like Realtek network interfaces. It's a very common problem, easily fixed by purchasing an inexpensive intel-based nic and disabling the Realtek one.

A more patient tone in your posts would also be helpful. I know it's frustrating when things don't work, but we're all volunteers trying to help each other out. You could have also read some of the pinned posts about recommended hardware - and if you had searched for jail networking or VNET problems, you might have run across the answer yourself. As it is, you posted your first post on Sunday and I came across it on Wednesday. Not exactly terrible.
I would like to apologize for my tone. The truth is, I expected everything to be running smoothly in a couple of minutes after finishing building my rig, and I got really frustrated. However, I have searched A LOT, and I mean a lot, on the internet regarding this jail/VNET issue and I have absolutely not found anything that corresponds to my issue, hence my frustration.

I had read this : https://www.truenas.com/docs/hub/intro/corehardwareguide/ and nowhere did it say anything about Realtek not working well with Truenas.

rufunky

Cadet
Can anyone recommend a network card that will fix this issue? I'm dealing with the same problem..

Redcoat

MVP

artlessknave

Wizard
I would guess you didnt have your interface in promiscous mode, which would mean the jails dont have access to the interface (essentially you are virtualizing a virtual interface to give virtual interfaces to.......virtual containers - house of cards stacked on a house of cards).
this is one of the reasons virtualizing Truenas is really not recomended.
it isn't just that truenas doesnt "like" reaktek interfaces. the realtek interfaces are demonstrably poor and less reliable than other cards, and as such they make very poor server interfaces, and because of this, the freeBSD community overall doesn't bother maintaining drives for unreliable interfaces.
Linux has more devs, over more distros, and often have assigned maintainers to specific drives and software. freebsd just doesnt have these resources, so they choose what to support.
your realtek interface will be just as crappy on linux. they work fine for workstations and such, because those dont deal with serving large numbers of clients, often simultaneously.