Problem creating pool called "data"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjp4756

Contributor
Yesterday I was setting up a new virtual machine to test out 9.3. I used the wizard to create a single disk pool called "data". I then got some error something along the lines of 'cannot create mount point /data, already exists. I then tried to create the pool using the storage tab and got the same message. I changed the pool name to "test" and it worked.

What I don't understand is why is the mount point initially trying to be created at root? Shouldn't it be under /mnt?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
"data" has been one of those "forbidden" zpool names. I don't know the specifics for why, but it's a name you shouldn't use. I'm pretty sure the manual lists "data" along with a few other names that you just shouldn't use.

rogerh

Guru
"data" has been one of those "forbidden" zpool names. I don't know the specifics for why, but it's a name you shouldn't use. I'm pretty sure the manual lists "data" along with a few other names that you just shouldn't use.

Not being able to resist looking, I find that 'data' (along with 'freenas') is recommended against because it won't be obvious in the logs, but it is not excluded by the Oracle naming requirements linked to in the manual. If there is a good reason why it can't work, simplest would be to state that in the manual.

Edit: that's the 9.2.1 manual and the 9.3 manual. I didn't look any further back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.