No disks available to Pool Manager when creating new pool in 12.0

MyQuest

Cadet
Hello, I'm a newbie (so please excuse my ignorance) and have just installed v12.0 on an old HP Proliant MircoServer to trial the software

I have 3 x 750MB hdds which appear on the Disks tab.
There already exists a Pool called homepool1 (a system pool?) not created by me which can clearly see the disks.
However, when I try to create a new Pool, the Pool Manager does not find any disks to allocate to the new pool.

Any help much appreciated!

MyQuest

Cadet
3 x 750GB hdds.... lol

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
There already exists a Pool called homepool1 (a system pool?) not created by me which can clearly see the disks.
Well... somebody created it as it's not something that will happen automatically.

It seems maybe your disks were once members of a ZFS pool (and still think they are).

You could try importing that pool or wipe the disks and they should be available to use as new pool members.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
It might also help to know more about your system. Please provide details as per the forum rules (link in red at top middle screen).

And welcome :smile:

MyQuest

Cadet
OK thanks for the quick response.

I wondered about 'homepool1'...
I tried to set up FreeNAS 11.3 about 18 months ago or so but didn't manage to complete it (or so I thought).
I don't remember setting up a pool - but I must have done! Lol

Anyway, I thought it was time to give it a go again so I upgraded to 12.0

I'll go play some more!

MyQuest

Cadet
It might also help to know more about your system. Please provide details as per the forum rules (link in red at top middle screen).

And welcome :smile:
Noted and included in signature :smile:

MyQuest

Cadet
Update:
So I used the pool that was already set up (homepoo1), added a group and a user and an ACL and a dataset.
I set up SMB and sharing and bingo!
It's up and running.
I can access it from my Win 10 PC and my iMac.
That said, I found the TrueNAS YouTube videos by SpaceRex invaluable.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Since you mention a RAID controller in your signature (thanks for the details :smile: ), you should read "Don't use RAID" from the "Recommended Readings" in my signature. The TL;DR is that despite looking fine under normal circumstances, you run a high risk of loosing data one day.

MyQuest

Cadet
thanks. I'll take a look.

kdmiller45

Cadet
Since you mention a RAID controller in your signature (thanks for the details :smile: ), you should read "Don't use RAID" from the "Recommended Readings" in my signature. The TL;DR is that despite looking fine under normal circumstances, you run a high risk of loosing data one day.
I also have my drives configured as RAID, I noticed you said don't, what is your suggestion for using 4 2tb drive on a DL360 G7
I also am also not seeing any drives to create a Pool with

Keith

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Did you read the document I recommended? That should give you a head start