when to create ZFS Datasets

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickwhois

Cadet
Quick version: Is it necessary to create ZFS datasets or should i just make (browse to) directory paths to share to afp and smb...?

I've been using Fn8 since early beta. Initially, I wasn't able to locate how to create read/write mount points in any network file protocol. However, I was able to do so by creating a ZFS dataset. At this point I was able to go to create an AFP share and set the path to the dataset I just created.

Example: my 3 hard drive zfs raidz called "data" has a mount point of /mnt/data. My AFP share called "media" is set to /mnt/data/media.

Is this over kill? Or am I doing this incorrectly? This video was released yesterday on how to setup a zfs and share network filing protocols like smb, afp etc....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7iqHnKd690 It is more like Freenas 7. Can someone elaborate on ZFS datasets and the need for them over set paths directories? Or can you point me to a more in depth understanding of them?

rickwhois

Cadet
or how about... who here uses datasets?

In the initial release you could only share datasets. That has been changed. Data sets can be nice for segmenting data if you you use snapshots, i use them for that.

ProtoSD

MVP
@matt, that's nice to know, thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't thought about the snapshot angle.

jenksdrummer

Patron
Since 8.0-RELEASE, I've created a dataset for each share. I too hadn't thought from the snapshot angle, but, seems that wasn't a bad idea to continue doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.