Did I shoot myself in the foot re: Jails/Datasets/Storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

di0de

Dabbler
I have a zfs volume with three datasets: audio, video, jails. I added a plex server plugin and then I realized I had a problem with mounting storage. I want to make both audio and video sources for the jail storage, and of course you can only choose one dataset. I tried to mount the root of the volume, but I get an error because the root and the jail "are not distinct paths." Way I see it, I've got two options, please tell me what you think is better:

1. Move the jails dataset to my backup zfs volume. However I was under the impression that you should keep your jails on your main volume. How important is this rule?

2. Restructure my storage configuration to have two datasets (jails, media), and then create two sub datasets below media. Then I could use the media dataset as the source for my plex storage. Problem with this is that I'd have to re-copy all my media to the new datasets and that would take forever!

Any other suggestions are welcome. FWIW I want to keep the audio and video in separate datasets to manage snapshots and backups differently. Thanks!

adrianwi

Guru
This! I have a Media dataset with all my Movies and TV Shows but my Music lives in a Backup dataset as it also resides somewhere else. I just have 2 sources in my Plex jail - one pointing to the Media dataset and one to the Music folder in the Backup dataset.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Add 2 mounted datasets to your jail. No need for any of that stuff you mentioned.

di0de

Dabbler
"The simplest solution..." Wow, I didn't realize I could keep adding, and adding storage like that. Now I feel stupid. That is exactly what I was hoping to do, and it works. Ty, ty, ty!

Status
Not open for further replies.