Question: best practice to create volume, datasets, sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaszto

Dabbler
I've attached a picture from the infrastructure what I want to build. I would like suggestions how can create datasets shares etc.
In the FreeNas I want to store my files, movies, music files, downloads. I want to reach these files from a desktop pc with a CIFS share, and some of them from LINUX based Raspberry Pi with NFS share.

Infrastucture.png

I want to create some jails, Owncloud, Emby, Logitech Media Server, Transmission, and Crashplan to backup everything.
I'm a bit confused when I started to create it, and set permissions. First of all, I have created a ZFS Volume. I can set permissions for the Volume

Volume_permissions.png

I can set the Permission type Unix, Mac, Windows

Under it, I've created a dataset but how can I configure the permission If I want to reach the data with CIFS share from Windows based desktop computer, and with NFS share from the Linux based computers?
Dataset_permissions.png

If I create same user in FreeNAS what I normally use on the windows desktop computers, can I map the FreeNAS storage as a network drive in Windows and I will have a write access to it? How can I configure?

Sorry for the beginner questions.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.