noob volumes and sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jindow

Cadet
Hello all, I'm new to freenas and am a bit confused by volumes and datasets. Thank you for reading my post.

I have a 1 terabyte hard drive that I would like to share among ubuntu and apple computers. If I understand correctly these 2 shares which would require afp and cifs should not be created on the same volume. I'm confused as to weather I should partition my hard drive into 2 separate partitions and then put one volume on each partition, or just create 2 separate volumes on the entire disk/one partition, through the volume manager. I would rather have both of my ubuntu and apple computers be able to share the entire disk space together, but if that's not how freenas works that's ok, I'll just separate them.

Initially I tried with just one partition. Following the user guide I created a volume at /mnt/volume1. I then tried to create another volume, in the dialog box I set it to extend volume 1 but I can't select the Member Disks/drive, there's nothing listed, and the new volume isn't created. Even though at the top of the screen it says- volume successfully created for a few seconds, it doesn't show up in the Storage tab.

I was then further confused by datasets.. Should I just make 2 datasets on the one volume that I've created and put an afp share on one and a cifs share on the other?

Thank you for any help with this. Cheers.

JaimieV

Guru
One volume can be shared by both CIFS and AFP, no problem at all. This simplifies all your other issues down to "don't need to do that", which is good.

You should read the FreeNAS manual, it will clear up your misconceptions about sharing and about how disks, volumes and datasets work.

You really should have at least two hard drives in a NAS system for data redundancy, by the way - hard drives can die at any moment, so having your data mirrored across two disks is important. Also, you will want to have a way to keep it backed up automatically.

jindow

Cadet
Hi Jaimiev, thank you for your reply. In reading the manual I see how to do a lot of these things, I'm just not sure which ones to do or why, if that makes sense..

I created 2 datasets in my single volume. /mnt/volume1, then I created an afp share in one dataset and an nfs share in the other. Then I created a new user.

I am unable to modify any permissions, anywhere. When I try to set the user home directory to the volume or the dataset, red letters come up in the Home Directory Mode area, saying This Field Is Required, and all the permission checkboxes are blank. This happens when I try to change any permission of any kind.

I can see the share from my Mac but cannot write to it. I cannot see the nfs share from Ubuntu 10.04

Thanks in advance. J

Status
Not open for further replies.