SOLVED problem after upgrade

hesseh

Dabbler
after update to 12.0-U3 virtual machines will not start and is not running. It was running and starting automatically in 12.0-U1.1

virtual machines.JPG

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I can report that after my update to that version, the 2 auto-starting VMs I have on the test box were automatically started and are running fine.

You could try removing the VNC device and see if it starts.

hesseh

Dabbler
I tried removing VNC device but no go. I reuploaded configuration and now nothing works. I am going to delete server and reinstall everything: Your VMs are working and that gives me confidence...

hesseh

Dabbler
I thought I was home free but now I really need help: I made a clean install and uploaded the saved configuration. Then I deleted the old VM and proceeded to add a new VM only to end up with an error message: Now what?

error message.JPG

From the part of the screen shot it appears that the BIOS virtualization settings are not enabled. From the docs make sure it is enabled:
TrueNAS VMs use the bhyve virtual machine software. This type of virtualization requires an Intel processor with Extended Page Tables (EPT) or an AMD processor with Rapid Virtualization Indexing (RVI) or Nested Page Tables (NPT). VMs cannot be created unless the host system supports these features.

To verify that an Intel processor has the required features, open the Shell and run grep VT-x /var/run/dmesg.boot. If the EPT and UG features are shown, this processor can be used with bhyve.

To verify that an AMD processor has the required features, open the Shell and run grep POPCNT /var/run/dmesg.boot. If the output shows the POPCNT feature, this processor can be used with bhyve. Note that AMD K10 “Kuma” processors include POPCNT but do not support NRIS, which is required for use with bhyve. Production of these processors ceased in 2012-2013.

hesseh

Dabbler
Thanks for the quick reply: I did flash a bios upgrade but I do not know how to enable virtualization (VM worked before)
Here is the result

shell.JPG

What is your motherboard?

hesseh

Dabbler
P8H77-I-ASUS
I googled the procedure but once SVM is enabled in the BIOS do I have to reinstall the TrueNas OS?

No, you should not have to reinstall. Try starting your VMs now.

hesseh

Dabbler
OK: Getting into the BIOS takes a little time... I will post the results later...

Excellent. You should mark the thread as solved now.

No problem: Go to the top of the thread and click the three dots, edit thread

Solved Step 2.png

Then on the title subject use the drop down to select Solved
Solved Step 3.png