Power analyse & schedule

JoHapp

Dabbler
Hello everyone. With the moral need to reduce unnessary energy consumption, I would love to analyse and optimize our serverload and start scheduling the power on times. As far as I read it is pretty simple to create a cronjob turning our Truenas off. And a bit harder to turn it on on schedule.

Now I am wondering, if there is a somehow exiting script or plugin for that / the powering off? For our NAS we have around 6 different machines getting files from it and a running Nextcloud. I would love a script, powering off at a specific time, if no datacommunication is happening / nobody loged in, maybe postponing turning off for 30min and checking again. Ideal with an option to analyse our normal on-times via existing logfiles.

-> Is there something like this existing out there? Or maybe an ongoing development by iXsystems? I believe if something like that would be implemanted nicely, the overall saving power potential within the TrueNAS communiy would be immense.

The next thing would be an easy method to turn the TrueNAS on. I believe in our case with a supermicro motherboard it should be possible via IPMI or WakeOnLan, when the first machine in the morning logs in. It's okay, if that person then needs to drink a coffee, before accessing the files.