Possible USB stick boot failling

ferferrari

Cadet
Hi Forum! i have encountered two errors today in a client NAS, the hardware of the NAS Box is :

Supermicro Server
SYS-5018R-MR
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2603 v3 @ 1.60GHz
x2 16GB RAM
2x 4TB Mirrored drives for data pool
1usb Stick for boot
TrueNAS Core 12.0

I'm new to TrueNAS, and after starting working with this box, i readed so much post about not using a usb stick for boot, and now i have 2 errors that i think may be a problem of the stick :
error 1:
SOLARIS: WARNING : Pool 'boot-pool' has encountered an uncorrectable I/O failure and has been suspended

error 2 :
xptioctl : put "device pass" in your kernel config file
xptioctl : pass driver is not in the kernel

SMB is working and datastores are accesible, the GUI is not working at all, if i restart the box, i can access the GUI, the first thing i did was downloading a new config ( i have several backups anyway)

I ordered 2 ssd to use them as boot, what is the correct procedure to "migrate"? and also, is this a good oportunity to migrate to 13?
From what i have read in the forums the proccedure will be:

1: get to the GUI one last time to get a backup, and check if the pools are encrypted to save the key (i always selected to export also the keys with the config, is that enough?)
2: detach the data pool drives, plug the 2 new ssd for boot and the usb-stick to install (12 or 13)
3: install TrueNAS, mirror the 2 ssd and upload the config.
4: re attach the 2 data pool drives and restart?

I hope everything i wrote is readeable, my english is not quite good.

Last edited by a moderator:

irTwit

Dabbler
I would export the dataset encryption key files. You can ensure you have the keys and can decrypt datasets independently of the config file. Export them under Storage > Pools. Click the gear icon for each pool and select "Export Dataset Keys".

Set you old USB aside in case you need to get back on it.

As for migrating, I would be inclined to get everything back up and running as it was on 12 and update later.

ferferrari

Cadet
I would export the dataset encryption key files. You can ensure you have the keys and can decrypt datasets independently of the config file. Export them under Storage > Pools. Click the gear icon for each pool and select "Export Dataset Keys".

Set you old USB aside in case you need to get back on it.

As for migrating, I would be inclined to get everything back up and running as it was on 12 and update later.
Hi! thanks for answering, i tought the datasets were encrypted but they werent, i downloaded the same version of Core, mirrored the ssd and installed Core on the zfs raid, later, i uploaded the config and voala! everything worked flawleslly, i will wait un til the next weekend to update.

Cya!